• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ns1 gauges

I have been using the NS1 for 5 or 6 years. I bring mine in after riding and plug into the charger on my desk. It will drain itself dead if it is left in the cold without being charged. I have charged it in the garage while leaving it on the sled as well. I started bringing it in the house when I learned the sled runs without it.
Is there anything that you give up and miss From the stock gauge as far as info from the sled available at a glance. I know the GPS is a game changer. I didn’t think I’d be into one till I tried a 9S on a Polaris for off trail exploring it’s is sweet

But I like to see what the sled is doing at a glance also can you have 4 info slots at ounce on the ns1

I have been using the NS1 for 5 or 6 years. I bring mine in after riding and plug into the charger on my desk. It will drain itself dead if it is left in the cold without being charged. I have charged it in the garage while leaving it on the sled as well. I started bringing it in the house when I learned the sled runs without it.

Is it easy to swap back to the original gauges?

A couple of things:

# 1 - swapping back to the old gauge would take about 10 minutes. That is not a problem.
# 2 - The GPS feature works great. I downloaded the trail maps and it uses Google maps as well. When I bring it in the house it goes to street mode and shows my house. LOL
# 3 - There is nothing on the stock gauge I miss. You can configure up to 5 different screens that can show up to 9 data points at once if you want. I have mine set up with the following:
Screen 1 - Map/Speedo/Tach
Screen 2 - Map only
Screen 3 - Speedo/Tach/AFR/Boost/Engine Temp
Screen 4 - everything from screen 3 plus Intake temp/voltage/altimeter

The fuel gauge and odometer/hours are also run at the bottom on the screen in addition to the above. I use screens 1 and 3 the most.

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for.

Brick

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for.

Brick
You are welcome.

Also, I plan to change Screen 1 to be speedo/engine temp and map. When trail riding, I really don't need tach. My sled engages at 2800rpm. I just need to watch water temp and speed with map at slower trail speeds. I use screen 3 when running at lake speed. If I am going to race, I use screen 4 and run the data logger. it will track all the data from screen 4.

It is a great tool.

Now if I could just talk them into some decent graphics to go along with the telemetry.

I'll likely be buying two more ns1 gauges for my other two sidewinder sleds. That is how much I like the Ns1. It is not perfect, there are some minor annoyances, but you kind of get use to them. Also some of the gauge readings I question if they are correct, but if I really cared the are options for calibrating. Also I used a file and added a groove so that I can slide the display in from the side without hitting the power button

I have been going back and forth with how to get a decent mix of telemetry and mapping on the same screen. Trying desperately not to get involved in trying to roll my own as I really don't need to start another project.

How is visibility with the NS1 gauge in bright/direct sunlight?

I'd like to see him take the data and enable it to be used with those apps you can get for obdíí readers for your car. That way you could fully customize the gauges.

I'd like to see him take the data and enable it to be used with those apps you can get for obdíí readers for your car. That way you could fully customize the gauges.

My assumption is that the sled is using Canbus, and the diagnostic messages are in standard ODBII and telemetry is just Canbus framing. (ODBII over canbus). If it is standard canbus and not proprietary then the messages should be relative standard. If it is proprietary, it could just be their own can IDS, if it is closed/proprietary (ala BMW) then its a lot harder. I have been bouncing back and forth watching kingers videos to see how he accessed the can messages. It looks like, from his video, that the only non-canbus info is on the bus (k-line) feeding the actual apex dash. I haven't got my questions sorted enough to PM him about the details and I just started looking into this so I have made a lot of unvalidated #*$&@umptions.

One of which is that the NS1 is just mapping can messages to local DB for processing and drawing the gauges, I could of course be way off. He talks about the 'brain box' which to me just means some small processor that is looking at the messages on the bus, and providing read/write access to the bus and the Android tablet is just there to display what is going on.

I have been going back and forth with how to get a decent mix of telemetry and mapping on the same screen. Trying desperately not to get involved in trying to roll my own as I really don't need to start another project.

How is visibility with the NS1 gauge in bright/direct sunlight?
Visability is pretty decent. If it is sunny out I find sometimes I need to look at it from a slightly different angle or stand up to see the fine detail. My riser is an inch higher than stock and it does block a bit of the screen if I'm sitting down. I just put my highest priority gauge on top left and I can see it no problem at all times.

My riding is not just sitting down, I do alot of back country riding and I can say that the gauge has done extremely well getting covered in snow and going through less than ideal conditions.

Any more opinion's on this unit.
I would really like a GPS for saddlebag trips into unknown area's and this looks like it would fill that need plus more.
Any downside?

I would check that it supports the latest gauge functionality (IQS display primarily). The last I talked to them they did not support IQs so I decided to just go with an ipad for now. Anything that changed about the display or uses the gauge for display probably isn't supported by the NS1 but check with them if you are concerned at all, they are pretty responsive.

I used it again all season this year and didn't have any issues with it. One thing I did this year was to get the GAP Flasher, I put the app on the same tablet and can use both apps on tablet. So if I want to change tune or look at just data I can use GAP App if I want the GPS I use the Next Stage app. I was able to hook up 2 buttons so I can zoom in and out and scroll through gauge without having to touch tablet. All in all it's pretty handy little unit, I'd still like to have a bit more appealing interface however it's overall usefulness makes up for that.

As I mentioned earlier in this old post, I like my NS1. I use it on my 2014 ZR9. For this season just ending, on my new Tcat, I installed the Arctic Cat Garmin unit with the stock cat gauge. It works great. After riding one season without my NS1, I do however miss it. The only advantage I noted on my Tcat set up verses the NS1 is the stock gauge and garmin are better in bright sunlight. Other than that, I do miss the NS1. The larger screen is better especially when using the GPS map function. The NS1 remains on my old ZR9. Have to give some thought to what I will use on my Tcat next year.

Back