• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro carillo rods install

Gofast222

Hi, im upgrading rods and pistons in a nytro motor. The motor had carillo rods in it, but i dont have any history on the motor. The rods orginally in the motor are blued on the big end. Im guessing someone just put the motor back together with new bearings. My question is, the carillo rods on the big end have a chamfer on one side of the rod and not the other. Does this chamfer go towards the clutch side of the motor or towards the mag side of the motor?
Thank you.

Blue ends are a sign of overheating, likely from spun bearings from oil starvation. Highly suspect, I wouldn't trust them. Don't know how that affected the heat treat. Large end bore is probably out of spec now too.
Carillo's don't have an orientation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am not reusing the blued rods. Im installing new carillo rods. I did have the blued rods checked, they are .0002 out of round.

Use plastigage and verify you have in-spec clearance, you'll be good.

Back