• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro cold start/starts on 2 cylinders

timebomb

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Got my Nytro out of storage a month ago and it ran perfect. We didn't have snow so I drove it from the trailer to the garage. Started it on Saturday to go for a ride and it turned over slow and only fired on 2 cylinders. It ran on 2 cylinders until the warm up light went off and then backfired and ran on all 3. It ran rough for a minute or 2 and then ran perfect. I started it again last night and the same thing happened. Started on 2 and then picked up on the third. It has fresh gas. I drained the tank dry last spring. Do I have a plug going bad?

Sounds like a bad plug or loose coil connection to plug. How many miles on those plugs?

Pete

Check your coil connections first if everything is tight I would replace the plugs(cheap fix). You also might run some seafoam (put in only what is recommended) in the gas to clean the injection system. You can buy it at Walmart for @$7. I have stated this before I run the Yamaha Fuel Med Rx in my gas every 500 miles and at the end of season prior to putting here away for the summer and no issues in 3500 miles (I have never drained the gas).

Pete

Probably just needs a good run and some injector cleaner..

I'm having the same issue with my 08. I changed the plugs, ran sea foam and adjusted co settings and still does it. Starts and sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders. Eventually it clears up then runs fine. Does this everytime on s cold start regardless of air temp.

Mine did this last year, it ended up being one of the coils. Did it just when starting from cold at first, then slowly got worse. Could have just fouled a plug a little too, but worse case youll need a coil if new plugs doesn't clear it up

wiring and caps look good. trying some injector cleaner when we get snow again but i am not expecting any results from that

Ya my coil on plug caps looked perfect too, change the plugs for sure id say, they are cheap and easy to change. How many miles? my brothers apex had a coil go bad at around 20000 kms last year, would run on 3 cyl intermittently. Also had my buddys RX1 started missing , and you could see his caps arcing to the cylinder head. So even if they look good doesn't really mean crap with electronics

I wonder if you can check the coils with a meter to see if they are good or not. I'd hate to change out all 3 to find out that wasn't the issue.

going for a ride today. going to fill the tank and put injector cleaner in it. i am going to ride the piss out of it and see if that does it. will report back later

it started on 2 cylinders again on saturday, but picked up the third when i tapped the throttle. i rode the hell out of it on saturday afternoon with alot of WOT runs across the field next to my house. got it out when i got home from work today and she started fine and idled on all 3. hopefully problem is solved though i am not sure if the injector cleaner did it or just the WOT runs cleaned her out.

Let me know if this worked for you. I have the same issue. Tap the throttle and picks up. I tried adjusting the co settings. Didn't help. I'm wondering if it could be a weak battery.

Back