• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Exploding Stator Cover rotating with crankshaft.

Lyle Rogalla

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
Hello Total Yamaha:

Here is what it looks like under the cracked stator cover. Never heard of this before nor seen anything like this.

Check out this 1:18 and the second 40 second video. Let me know what you think. Wanted people to hear the click and see the wiggle in the timing chain every 360 deg of rotation, could this be the sound of the valves closing? What is making the timing chain tensioner jump?

Video 1:

Video 2:

How I think it happened...

The rotating (armature?) on the Nytro stator froze up and seized.

The stator coils ring that is attached to the right side engine cover received the torque of the crankshaft and exploded the stator cover.

Then the stationary stator coil ring started rotating with the crankshaft. The broken part of the case you see attached to the stator was spinning with the crankshaft.

Notice the way the stationary stator bolts, hold the stator ring on to the right side engine cover, are all worn down, so this was developing.

The engine gave no signs of any problem until I heard all the clunking and oil mist came out of the right side cowl vent screen. We were 1 mile from the trailer just finishing a fantastic 100 mile day ride in Grand Portage. 8,950 just great running miles and then this.

I will be grateful for any comments and ideas.
IMG_0063.jpeg
IMG_0064D.jpeg
IMG_0066D.jpeg
IMG_0068D.jpeg
IMG_0072.jpeg
IMG_0074D.jpeg
IMG_0075D.jpeg
IMG_0076D.jpeg

Last edited:

Back