• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MPI Supercharger Squeal...

Krummy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 FX Nytro
I was wondering if anyone else has ever had an issue with a squeal sound coming from the supercharger. When the engine is cold, there is absolutely no squeal. Once the sled builds up heat (~110F and above), a squeal sound begins to get louder and louder from the supercharger. Initially i thought it might be the idler wheel bearing so i changed that and the squeal still exists. The supercharger was purchased back in 2013 so i believe it was after all of the shaft issues. It has been squealing for ~150 miles now and i havent noticed any performance issues but the squeal is rather annoying. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has someone had this issue before? Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Sounds like mine. It was squeeling only when warm. I test rode it a bunch and with no problems I just kept riding. One day we were hauling #*$&@ up the trail to get to the top of the mountain. Probly doing 60-70 the whole way and boom. The super charger blew up. It sent impeller parts into the head and they got stuck in the valve seats. The sled would not run due to the lack of compression. I tore the head off and notice the tiny aluminum parts stuck to my valves. I simply did a valve job on the head and she fired right up again. Good as new. There was no damage to the cylinders or pistons. As for the supercharger it was complet junk after that. You can't fix them and you can't send them off to be fixed. Best you can do is buy a new one for 1100 bucks from MPI. The superchargers are made over in Asia somewhere and you have to be a dealer to get your hands on one. So the reason my super charger blew up. No Oil. Ran dry. Had a smal leak in one of the hoses. I neglected to check my oil and it cost me 1100 bucks. I don't know if your issue is the same as mine but I thought I would share my story with you so u don't have to go through the same #*$&@ that I did.

I appreciate the feedback greatly. I think before i continue riding mine, i will investigate the entire closed loop oil system andbsee if there is some blockage. I am certain i dont have a leak in my system because the oil level has maintained the same height since i have installed it. I have been suspicious of how slow the flow is though. I may look into if the oil filter or radiator have some blockage issues. Thank you very much

Mine squealed for a bit and then blew up also. I did not have any issues with oil flow. Mine only lasted about 1200 miles and is now collecting dust on the shelf

I just checked my oil flow and it appears to be flowing just fine...

The issues continued till the end of the year. My assumption is i will have to replaced the supercharger unit.

Realize this is an old post, but...I bought a new in box, left over last winter, it’s also squealing upon install, only at idle. Warm or cold. Wondering what to do also? Found a place in Texas that rebuilds them for around $500...

Realize this is an old post, but...I bought a new in box, left over last winter, it’s also squealing upon install, only at idle. Warm or cold. Wondering what to do also? Found a place in Texas that rebuilds them for around $500...
I had the same issue… replaced idler bearing, still had the same squeal. Changed oil and everything. Went riding today, ran great until the ride back to the car and the s/c blew up on me. Sent pieces into engine and lost all compression…. More work for me!! :/

I had the same issue… replaced idler bearing, still had the same squeal. Changed oil and everything. Went riding today, ran great until the ride back to the car and the s/c blew up on me. Sent pieces into engine and lost all compression…. More work for me!! :/
How many miles was on it? I talked to Ulmer Racing a year ago about it and he said some are “chirpy“ at idle. No issues as of yet with approximately 700 miles.

How many miles was on it? I talked to Ulmer Racing a year ago about it and he said some are “chirpy“ at idle. No issues as of yet with approximately 700 miles.
Mine had a squeal even at higher rpm’s. Not sure on the mileage on s/c but sled has only 2800. Well maintained… must be the luck of the draw!

Makes me nervous, last ride last spring was very cold and it was noticeably whining a bit more at low trail speeds on a stretch of trail after some long high speed stretches on the lakes but seemed to go away..

Make sure
Makes me nervous, last ride last spring was very cold and it was noticeably whining a bit more at low trail speeds on a stretch of trail after some long high speed stretches on the lakes but seemed to go away..
I’d say just make sure your s/c temps are kept low. I’m not sure if that’s why mine blew but I noticed my light came on a bit before it happened. The light would come on daily while riding but I was told this was common as I have very little venting. The MPI heat exchanger is total #*$&@ too so keep that in mind.

This seems isolated to the Nytro only right? I have no experience of squealing on my MPI apex. I vaguely remember a bad 'batch' of SCs from rotrex years ago but I also remember mine was a good one from before that. I have not even looked at mine in almost a decade. Just check oil once a year and go. Its been bullet proof. Love it!

Back