• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Powered Mini Jet Boat Build

LEE337

VIP Member
So now that the Nytro is about finished for the next season, it is time to start this winters project: a mini aluminum hull jet boat powered by my 09 nytro motor.

Over the summer i have slowly been gathering parts and tools to get started. The pump is out of a yamaha gp 1200 jet ski.

Here is the start:

I hope this build is ok to post in the garage section being that it is powered by a yamaha.

Slowly making progress, but not much to show for it. All the time has been working on getting a proper model that i can lay flat for the patterns.

Sweet!

I've got a couple questions for you, how are you connecting the stubshaft to the marine coupler? Also are you planning on some sort of gear reduction?
I'm asking because I've thought about doing this also but when I bring it up in any jetboating forums they tell me the to keep the pump from cavitating it should be spinning at less than 7k,and the nytro motor would be leaving a ton of hp on the table when peak power is made at around 9k.

natedawgedog said:
Sweet!

I've got a couple questions for you, how are you connecting the stubshaft to the marine coupler? Also are you planning on some sort of gear reduction?
I'm asking because I've thought about doing this also but when I bring it up in any jetboating forums they tell me the to keep the pump from cavitating it should be spinning at less than 7k,and the nytro motor would be leaving a ton of hp on the table when peak power is made at around 9k.

My honest answer is yes you are correct. We are just going to connect using a modified coupler and hopefully be able to tune the impeller and intake size to allow the extra rpm. I have came across 1 or 2 success stories of spinning them 8K. I know the nytro motor will have plenty on the low end as well. I am kinda shooting in the dark here so if anyone has further knowledge than i do on the subject feel free to chime in.

Lee

there is a pump in the works or already available made by scott waterjet http://www.scottjet.co.nz/products/jet_612.html that is supposed to be able to handle those type of rpms without cavitation but man is it expensive! also you can look in home-built/experimental aircraft forums were there is 1 or 2 guys that successfully added custom gear reduction units to the nytro motors to get them to spin at the right rpms. a little bit more weight but I would believe that having the power in the sweet spots would more than make up for the weight penalty.

Im excited to see what you have in store for this build!

after a quick search here was the site for the airplane thread and I guess there are more people doing this now with the FI motors with turbos and all! its been awhile since Ive looked into these but this long thread has info on the gear reduction units they made and they are very helpful with info too.
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16100

yamaha2.jpg

natedawgedog said:
after a quick search here was the site for the airplane thread and I guess there are more people doing this now with the FI motors with turbos and all! its been awhile since Ive looked into these but this long thread has info on the gear reduction units they made and they are very helpful with info too.
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16100

Tha Thread was a great read thanks!

Got a little further today

Lots of progress over the weekend.

Had to get creative with my filler rod. Since i ran out mid weekend of the larger stuff.

yamahamm said:
cool project ;)!

X2 ;)!

Great job Lee, looking forward to seeing the pics when it is all done.

Just to help with your progress, I thought this might inspire you to see it to completion? (It's a different animal, but still a cool Jet boat none the less)

Attachments

• Jet%20boat%20@%20Trailer%20Sept%202%202012%20023 (Medium) (2).jpg
    Jet%20boat%20@%20Trailer%20Sept%202%202012%20023 (Medium) (2).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 938

Back