• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro small fuel tank

yikes

i would NOT recomend what xf800 did. even with a turnout that can is high and very likely to melt at high speeds. sled solutions had HUGE issues with a bag burning up back there even with the long turnout. hence why sled solutions gave up on the xtx bag. Id run the little square pack like the guy a page pack because its low but that skidoo fuelcan is big and its a leaker! Have one on my sled with a undertunnel exhaust.
guess at long stretches at high speed the exhaust still goes straight back from the turnout and melts things. have heard of a guy on here that melted his jerry can and the only thing that kept it from popping was that it was full and the gas cooled it. said if it was empty it woulda blown up.

i thought fuel on the back was the hot setup...but it sucks to have to stop when ur buddies dont to put it in. ran out last yr trying to make it the last mile into town for gas. never get over 100miles on a tank
guess what TRAIL TANK this year. now i got 130miles+ and 3 gal on the back.
tank isnt that bad to install. push forward as far as u can and be carefull trimming panels is all.

xf800spro said:
Here you go mshanks, I have to get a turn out, the sled is brand new havn't ridden it yet.

I dont recommed this either. I had the same setup with the turn our. Took it down the trail with an empty tank in the caddy it was so hot and i was tankful i didnt have a fuel in it. Put heat tape where the exhaust was hitt the caddy and it really didnt make a differents still very hot.

I ended up buying a trailtank at haydays this year

Even tho I have a turnout.
For safety sake and piece of mind.
I added a heat shield in front of the fuel pack.
It worked well last season.

I could have also gone with a longer curved turnout to get the heat further out to the side.

My xtx came with a trail tank from the dealer. >120 miles per tank the way I drive. Great option and correct on being a pain to remove/reinstall as they use every inch of space available.

On my MTX, I am going with the rotopax or Kolpin on the tunnel and stock tank. My intent is to keep the weight off when I don't need it.

OTM

The small gas tank is one of the biggest drawbacks of the Nytro, and I still can't figure out what Yamaha was thinking, or why they don't at least offer the option of more trail capacity. Even if it was just on the XTX, which is intended to get off-trail, and off the beaten path.

Riding groomed trails 150-160kms is easily doable. Get playing in the powder, and you have a usable range of 100-120kms. Simply not acceptable IMO.

I've gotten away with the stock tank and various gas cans strapped to the sled for a few years now. Having just moved to Labrador I think I'm going to have to given in and spend $350 on a trail tank, and still have a bunch of can strapped to the sled.

Yamaha needs to realize that not everyone lives in upstate New York where there's a gas station every 20 miles.

NFLD-Nytro said:
The small gas tank is one of the biggest drawbacks of the Nytro, and I still can't figure out what Yamaha was thinking, or why they don't at least offer the option of more trail capacity. Even if it was just on the XTX, which is intended to get off-trail, and off the beaten path.

Riding groomed trails 150-160kms is easily doable. Get playing in the powder, and you have a usable range of 100-120kms. Simply not acceptable IMO.

I've gotten away with the stock tank and various gas cans strapped to the sled for a few years now. Having just moved to Labrador I think I'm going to have to given in and spend $350 on a trail tank, and still have a bunch of can strapped to the sled.

Yamaha needs to realize that not everyone lives in upstate New York where there's a gas station every 20 miles.

I agree with you 100% I added a trail tank last year and after a day playing in the powder I still run out of fuel before the other non Yamaha sleds in my group.

hearnoevil said:
I run a can on back of my mtx with a turnout. The snow does not even melt off the gas can.

would like to see some pics if you have? What kind of tank ( and size) and how did you mount it? Thanks

Man I so want and undertunnel exhaust so I can put my brp jerry can and storage bag on the back. But At $600 for the local sponsers ( would be more like $800 here to canada). Well that is out of the question.
Thinking of making buying block off plate and buying a decent used bike exhaust and getting prof help in installing. Its all about the moola ;)!

mach9 said:
I moved the tail light, put a Kolpin JR 1.5gal on the back of my xtx.
Only needed it once but sure glad I had it.
Note... Re-direct your exhaust, don't blow yourself up.

Hey Mach9,
have you tried this set up while riding? Besides relocating the taillight did you have to fabricate mounting hardware? Also are you installing turnout?

Yes I'm worried about the can getting to hot so I have a guy that is making a shield that will deflect the heat, the only time I plan on taking the can is when we ride up north in the back country. I will probably go with a trail tank next year.

Smelter said:
mach9 said:

Hey Mach9,
have you tried this set up while riding? Besides relocating the taillight did you have to fabricate mounting hardware? Also are you installing turnout?

Yep, all last season, I do have turnout installed.
Here is a link to the Kolpin site and hardware.
Super easy to install and use once your taillight is relocated.
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/fuel-packs-and-brackets/fuel-pack-jr-with-pack-mount.html

mach9 said:
Smelter said:
mach9 said:

Hey Mach9,

Yep, all last season, I do have turnout installed.
Here is a link to the Kolpin site and hardware.
Super easy to install and use once your taillight is relocated.
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/fuel-packs-and-brackets/fuel-pack-jr-with-pack-mount.html

Thanks, I think I might try junior pack with the upright mount. And with an undertunnel exhaust you could easily use two upright cans, which would be a decent amount of gas to carry.

Smelter said:
hearnoevil said:
I run a can on back of my mtx with a turnout. The snow does not even melt off the gas can.

would like to see some pics if you have? What kind of tank ( and size) and how did you mount it? Thanks

Here you go, I still have to get the rod's done that go to both sides of the rack. never mind the clear case I have there. It was something I bought at ct full of tie downs and it seams to fit in the rack.
5nJeX.jpg

NR3rC.jpg

7lab2.jpg

So how many rootBEER can you fit in that container :drink:
A little more room on your mountain sled than an xtx.
Looks good...and useful!

hearnoevil said:
Smelter said:
hearnoevil said:

Here you go, I still have to get the rod's done that go to both sides of the rack. never mind the clear case I have there. It was something I bought at ct full of tie downs and it seams to fit in the rack.
5nJeX.jpg

NR3rC.jpg

7lab2.jpg

Back