• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

O2 sensor is gone on the 17 Vipers

TestMaster

Lifetime Member
Website
www.gdls.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX SE
2014 SR Viper LTX DX
2001 Venture 600

Given to a friend - 1998 SRX 700s
image.jpeg

Does anybody know what change was made in the ECU and or programming to accommodate this change and what will this improve or fix?

Even my dealer is stumped and they are usually well informed. Thanks!

Thanks Bill, I was thinking it was to improve ECU performance to minimize backfire like the Nytro system but that was just an educated guess and my dealer who is usually knowledgeable of this kind of thing has also no clue.

John

Just picked my 2017 up sat. As explained to me by dealer mechanic is that the o2 sensor was part of the problem with hard start issues and unsteady idle. He said this was just word of mouth info and would relay the full scoop on when he went to the update school. But makes perfect sense. And I have to say my idle is spot on and fired right up. I had no start issues with my 2016 but did have the surging idle.

We all noticed how smooth the 17 Viper idled at Pleasant Prarie show also. Good news!

I'm hoping it's the correction that will fix the backfire and starter issue on the 14-16 Vipers. Now all we need is a backwards compatible fix.

Last edited:
Do I hear a dealer ecu flash update? For older viper's

Anyone have any new info here? I assume if they took out the ox sensor they would have to re certify the entire motor emissions wise. A new ECU?????
Is there any way to tell just by looking at it? I can ask dealer also if any new info in 2 weeks when I pick up my 16 from 500 mi service.

Is there any way to tell just by looking at it? I can ask dealer also if any new info in 2 weeks when I pick up my 16 from 500 mi service.

I believe your dealer IS my dealer.

If you can remove the right side tierod boot and you look in to the left side would be able to see. All the Mitsubishi ECUs are black plastic. Cat ecu is aluminum.
Cat
image.png

Sidewinder
image.jpeg

Hopefully it doesn't I could a whole new ecu and it's a simple sensor delete and reflash. If it has a whole new ecu I don't see a recall on previous models happening it will be too expensive

image.jpeg
Hopefully it doesn't I could a whole new ecu and it's a simple sensor delete and reflash. If it has a whole new ecu I don't see a recall on previous models happening it will be too expensive

The picture above is my wife's Viper during the starter replacement. How much do you think it costs the dealer/Yamaha to change out a starter if you have to check for debris in the crankcase from the starter failure? And without a fix this may be required every 3 or so years. You then add in customer dissatisfaction and lost future sales not just from snowmobiles but people who ride snowmobiles also ride other Yamaha products.

Sometimes you just need to let the corporation make the financial assessment because they can make a much more comprehensive financial assessment than you might think.

I will wait and see. Since 2014 I have invested a lot of money on snowmobiles, a SXS and accessories for these vehicles.

Back