• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

O2 sensor is gone on the 17 Vipers

On my truck or car. On my toys I want control. If they allowed access to the O2 sensor tables I would keep it. But they don't so it got to go.

I can't verify if the Viper's narrow band O2 sensor ever runs in a closed loop to maintain a A/F ratio but I do know there are better methods to make these FI engines run better. I just installed a Tundermax ECM with wide band O2 sensors in my 2014 Harley. The wide band o2 sensors monitor the air/fuel ratio unlike the narrow band which only detect oxygen and are more of an on/off device. The nice thing about the T-max system is that it's not a flash tune device and with A/F sensors it has the ability to auto tune while you ride. It also allows the user to go in and make their own adjustments. There's even an adjustment for how many times the engine rotates before firing at startup. After installing the T-max ECM I installed a true dual ceramic header, new slip on mufflers, a stage one air cleaner and high performance cams then downloaded the closet map available into the ECM. The map wasn't for the exact changes I made but after running it for 2-3 sessions it auto tuned and corrected the map. The bike now runs smoother and cooler due to a richer A/F ratio. It dyno'd just under 70 hp stock and now it's around 92 hp with torque over 100. It's amazing how much theses manufacturers are forced to de-tune these machines to meet all the EPA regulations. It's to bad we don't have similar replacement ECM's that would allow us to tune our sleds without a dyno or the need to send the ECU out to be flashed .

Last edited:
I can't verify if the Viper's narrow band O2 sensor ever runs in a closed loop to maintain a A/F ratio but I do know there are better methods to make these FI engines run better. I just installed a Tundermax ECM with wide band O2 sensors in my 2014 Harley. The wide band o2 sensors monitor the air/fuel ratio unlike the narrow band which only detect oxygen and are more of an on/off device. The nice thing about the T-max system is that it's not a flash tune device and with A/F sensors it has the ability to auto tune while you ride. It also allows the user to go in and make their own adjustments. There's even an adjustment for how many times the engine rotates before firing at startup. After installing the T-max ECM I installed a true dual ceramic header, new slip on mufflers, a stage one air cleaner and high performance cams then downloaded the closet map available into the ECM. The map wasn't for the exact changes I made but after running it for 2-3 sessions it auto tuned and corrected the map. The bike now runs smoother and cooler due to a richer A/F ratio. It dyno'd just under 70 hp stock and now it's around 92 hp with torque over 100. It's amazing how much theses manufacturers are forced to de-tune these machines to meet all the EPA regulations. It's to bad we don't have similar replacement ECM's that would allow us to tune our sleds without a dyno or the need to send the ECU out to be flashed .
We do. It's called a PCV with Autotune. Works well.

The Power Commander is a good option but what I don't like is that it's an add-on to the stock ECU and if you want Auto Tune then you need to add another module in addition to the PCV. The Tmax for motorcycles is a replacement ECM not an add-on controller so it's in no way dependent on the stock ECM. The installation is also much cleaner because it's a direct plug and play replacement to the stock unit.

Last edited:
This is an older post, but to be clear, just the 330ohm resistor on the O2 heater wires to bypass? Leave the sensor wires open?

I bought an O2 bypass for a yamha motorcycle to get the same plug (and avoid cutting up the stock sensor) just need to make sure I get the resistors right. It has a 330 across one side and 470 on the other.

Thanks,

Jon

This is an older post, but to be clear, just the 330ohm resistor on the O2 heater wires to bypass? Leave the sensor wires open?

I bought an O2 bypass for a yamha motorcycle to get the same plug (and avoid cutting up the stock sensor) just need to make sure I get the resistors right. It has a 330 across one side and 470 on the other.

Thanks,

Jon
Yes just to harness wires. But better yet with the newest flash the O2 sensor is eliminated. Newest flash also prevents kickback. Get the newest flash or risk ruining starter,flywheel,stator and possibly your engine from metal fragments.

Back