• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Odometer rolled back?

jqpd99

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 SR Viper X-TX
2020 Sidewinder X-TX
Hi All,

New owner here...

Never owned a sled and only rented a two-stroke 650 for a weekend 10 years ago but I jumped in with both feet this week...

I first bought an 09 Apex LTX-GT last Friday and followed that up with a 2012 Apex X-TX because it was too good a deal to pass up...

Admittedly, I know nothing of what to look for signs of wear on these things and I had a friend inspect both tonight and he has serious doubts on the 09's claimed mileage of only 1177 kms based on:

the wear on the sliders
the wear on the handlebar grips
missing spare belt

The dealer he bought it from has since gone belly up so not so easy to find maintenance records but will try to pull records from other local dealers.

My question is, how easy is it to roll back these odometers?

DF

I wouldn't consider the condition of the sliders or the missing spare belt to be very conclusive. In regards to the grips that is typical, the Apex is so freaking fast you have to hold on as if your life depends on it. In any case it depends more on how hard it was ridden and how well it was maintained, regardless of mileage.

It's yours now and the guys on this site will help you with whatever comes up ... welcome to TY.

Complete idiots can destroy a pair of hyfax in only a few hundred miles. So, yeah, not a good indication.

Belt... again, they can blow in 20 miles, or 2,3,4000 miles.

The wear on the grips. Yeah, possibly.

Check these things.

1. Is there much, or any slop in the handlebars/steering linkage? By the time I traded my Apex off it had just under 7,000 miles, and the bars were sloppier than a $10 hooker.

2. Jack the front end up, getting skis off the ground, and try to move/wiggle the A-arms. If the sled has been beat, or gauge pod swapped with a low mileage one, the bushings in the arms will be loose. Replace with Ulmer Racing oilite if so.

3. Paint damage to A-arms, shocks, & skidframe/rear suspension is a good indication. A true low mileage sled will have little to no chips or wear yet on any if these areas.

4. Track condition. An idiot can wreck a track in less than 1,000 miles, but if it's a true low mile sled, the track should be near mint with no wear or torn lugs.

5. Look at the aluminum under the "hood "/take body panels off & look at the frame, block, head, valvecover, etc. A true low mileage sled will look new under there with little to no oxidation yet of the aluminum. Unless, the previous owner was a moron & trailered it on an open trailer and no cover. Non the less, even a higher mileage one that's been keep clean, will still show it's wear on the aluminum.

6. No, these digital odometers can't be rolled back, but a low mileage one is always easily obtained & swapped in.

Last edited:
Its probably rolled back (the cluster changed actually).

If the sled actually has 1100kms it should be pretty much brand new. Thats only a couple weekends of riding, and the sled is an 09. Doesnt really add up.

Just look at Ontario Kijiji, I swear 75%of the sleds are rolled back.

That being said, and apex will last a long long time as you know, so as long as the price was right i wouldnt worry too much.

Thanks for your input everyone... will update with results tomorrow

DF

If guys call me for gauge clusters and mention anything about selling their sled and wanting it to have lower miles I won't sell one anymore. I used sell them, but when I did I had bit of guilt as if I was supporting an unethical practice.

There are some genuine low mile sleds out there yet. Worn grips could easily be result of original bars being bent in a roll over and used set swapped on.

This happened to me this past spring. I was new to Yamaha and did not realize how easy it was to pull off the covers. They claimed it had 5000k on it. Bought it in Ottawa and the guy claimed it was his wife's and she never rode it. When I arrived , 4 hour drive, it was covered in snow so it was difficult to see the condition. When I got it home and started to tear into it I realized that they had obviously changed the odometer. It cost me a couple of grand to get it back up to par. I am still thinking about legal action as I know where they live and where they work...... Live and learn ,

This happened to me this past spring. I was new to Yamaha and did not realize how easy it was to pull off the covers. They claimed it had 5000k on it. Bought it in Ottawa and the guy claimed it was his wife's and she never rode it. When I arrived , 4 hour drive, it was covered in snow so it was difficult to see the condition. When I got it home and started to tear into it I realized that they had obviously changed the odometer. It cost me a couple of grand to get it back up to par. I am still thinking about legal action as I know where they live and where they work...... Live and learn ,

That sucks!!!
Karma can be a bitch, so hopefully they get theirs

Incidentally I am in Ottawa and bought this from across the river in Gatineau...

Here's what I have discovered so far:

1. Almost no slop in the steering linkage... moving the handlebars side-to-side without moving the skis gets maybe half a millimeter of movement
2. Lifted the front end off the ground and again very little movement from the A-arms... lifted the 2012 as well (with 7800 kms) and it was the same
3. See pics of a-arms and rest of bodywork... very little chips/scratches and absolutely no cracks, rips or dents on the bodywork... minor scuffs on the seat
4. See pic of track... can't see any torn lugs
5. See rest of pics showing tunnel, frame, engine, etc

Looks like maybe I need a shock rebuild? Or adjust the pre-load on the rear shock to adjust the rear height to prevent further damage

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 285
More pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 271
That looks pretty good to me. I don't see any red flags. The steering likes to loosen up >2000 miles so if that is tight its a pretty good indication its real. My sled is babied and cleaned once a year and what I would consider WELL MAINTAINED and the motor still looks like that every year when I bring it in for the annual check up.

In Ontario you are asked to provide the mileage of the vehicle when renewing your validation sticker. I would "assume" a red flag would come up if suddenly the mileage of the vehicle was less than the year previous. Sled looks great! Nice choice of beverages as well!!!

Back