• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OEM Windshields - out of luck?

steveg_nh

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak
I am looking for the black tinted mid height windshield from Yamaha, sku SMA-8FT96-22-BK. I had scored one on eBay, but when it arrived yesterday, they sent the wrong one. They said they must have had it labelled wrong, and they do not have the one I want. :( bummer.

My understanding is that it is discontinued, so I'm wondering if I need to go aftermarket. I'd prefer not to but I think my choices are getting slim. Is that what you guys are doing for older Apex/attaks? Mine is an 07.

I see that I can get the same shield in the 30-BK, which is a bit taller, but my understanding is it needs support bars and I don't want to add those.

So for aftermarket, what brands are recommended? I read some threads, but thought a new discussion with new feedback might be nice. I read about PowerMadd mostly. Not bad, but it's so hard to tell until you actually get it and can see it. And if you don't like it, you're out on shipping. Pictures would help tremendously.

Thanks.

Contact Travis at Barn of parts I bet he has a nice used few to choose from was a very popular upgrade.

photo 1.jpg
Is this the one your looking for?

No that looks like a short model. It's like this.

Attachments

• 22-bk.jpg
    22-bk.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 136
They call it black tint. But you are correct, it's smoke really.

So hard to look at this online. So many pictures aren't even the right ones! Anyone have the PowerMadd Cobra 16" installed? It says clear but looks tinted/smoked. Is it? Do the side flares cover the hand grips at all? Looked at Sno Stuff too and they don't have anything.

I'm so bummed that eBay seller didn't really have the oem one I wanted. :(

The windshields off a vector ltx will fit as well..I'm sure you know this.. and I have one of the shields you want..they do well against wind. Med is what they are called. They go by measurements if your looking. Can't remember the inches the Med is up the middle right now. I bought a med Fire and Ice for my wife's machine from Yami. Med height and matches her color scheme. Look at Vectors shields as well. Her's is a 2010.. same machine as ours. I would think someone would have them on the web.

Thanks. I'll search as if I have a Vector. I actually didn't know that. I've just been searching for the SKU so far and no luck.

I may just go with the 21-Bk model which is the same as I wanted just clear and black not tinted. I really want the OEM one.

So if I'm going clear, any opinions on PowerMadd's version, vs the OEM one?

Last edited:
Ok - if you are interested in going with a clear windshield look at the 2012 and newer stock Vector shield part number 8HV-K7210-00-00 - in 2012 the Vector windshields got a redesign (wider, slightly taller, and pushed more forward) that results in coverage very similar to that tinted (SMA-8FT96-22-BK) accessory windshield you liked. Another thing to note is the accessory windshields Yamaha offered always had kind of a rough fit (gaps) around the headlight area whereas the stock windshields (including the newer Vector style) always had a perfect fit around the headlight. That 2012 and newer Vector shield will fit all 2006-2010 Apex style sleds and 2008 and newer Vector sleds. Below is a picture of it.

2018 Vector.jpg

Great info, thank you! Is that considered a mid as well? Do they offer it in tinted? If not, then yes, I guess I will be going clear and with Yamaha, unless someone says something about the Cobras that makes me take a look.

Great info, thank you! Is that considered a mid as well? Do they offer it in tinted? If not, then yes, I guess I will be going clear and with Yamaha, unless someone says something about the Cobras that makes me take a look.

Yes that is considered a mid height. They do not offer it in a tinted - it is clear with black around the bottom.

Thanks. Do you think it's an improvement in design over the old 8FT96-21? Does it cover handgrips at all? Sorry to ask so many questions but sounds like you've seen it. Pictures are tough.

Back