• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off to Maine for season

actionjack

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.inspectorjack.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SideWinder LTX-LE
Lucky for me, one of my sledding buddies now has a home in Maine that serves as our base camp. My sled is on the next pony express to base camp Maine to be waiting for my 1st trip planned for week of 13 Jan.

Pre-season maintenance or changes.

Replaced bent A-Arm and spindle after last season off-trail treasure hunting. Wish I had considered waiting for Gen2 front end as I was half-way there.

New SE window
New Dalton B-O sec spring
New Dalton 35 helix
New Dalton QAY set to 73.1g

Defective flasher replaced (Stock muffler multi-tune bundle - MS16)
OSP bracket above gauge for Garmin Montana
Wireless charging phone case on bars

Checked for boost leaks.

Moved CA MTX skis to narrow (didn't measure - these skis are so wide they track great and flat but lots of effort)
Let limiter strap all out (previously pulled 2 holes due to TOO light steering before CA MTX skis)
Plan to adjust center shock pre-load to find happy place. If not, Bill Mohr spring.

Dealer replaced reverse actuator (spare on hand)
Had dealer check chain case - all good - tack welded tensioner while in there (they say there's no problem but they do that when in there).

2360 miles Ice Cobra in perfect shape.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend making the ride up to The County as a day trip (it takes less than a day to get to Caribou as long as you're moving).

X2
End of year riding up there is usually spectacular with lack of sleds, warmer weather and perfectly groomed trails all over the County!

Problem is, it will spoil you! I too ride the Greenville- Forks area during the week when not many are out! Weekends can get crazy with way too many sleds on same trails. Even freshly groomed trails only hold their smoothness for so long unless they get bulletproof by the weather, but it is all good wherever, whenever. Beats sitting home doing whatever!!

Hope you both have exceptional trails and weather for this upcoming season.

Yup, gotta get those miles in early in the day before the trails get washed out. Greenville, Forks, Rangeley, Jackman. It's all the same....lots of riders in those areas

We have not yet ventured up to the county yet. We do mostly ride M-F. Never saw very much traffic during last season.

Skipping the weekends and Presidents week vacation is the way to go if you can.

Years ago, I had no choice ( child on school vacation)and family and many friends booked that whole week usually in Presque Isle, Caribou or Madawaska, and we were all weekend warriors!

It was and still is a great way to enjoy life!

I've been deer hunting the Forks area the past 4 years. I love that area.

Greenville was the sledding' MECCA 25 years ago.
It's still nice middle of week. On weekends we call it Brownville.
It's central to Jackman, The Forks, Rangeley, Jo-Mary trails & Mt Katahdin.

PM me when you're there.
I'll meet you at Kakadjo

This year, the free weekend in New Brunswick is on the last weekend of school vacation. We're going to brave the traffic and hope the trails in NB are much better this year.

Even with school vacation, we're able to put on 300+ miles in a day easily. I highly recommend getting up to The County and trying out the trails if you're in the area.

Head north! Millinocket to matagammon, portage, presque isle and fort Kent. Great riding. Back pack it and you will love it

Back in the 70’s it was all local riding for me.
Then came the 80’s and started trailering to the Rangely Oquossoc, and of course the getting useless in Eustis area.

Late 80’s we got away from that land of 10,000 snowmobiles and started trailering to the Forks -Jackman- Greenville area. That spot also got very busy with time!

Early 90’s found us trailering to the Millinocket - Rockwood area.

Mid 90’s we found Houlton and enjoyed that area for many years and many outings. I thought we found the best that Maine had to offer for snowmobile trail systems. From then on the rest of the county was discovered, Presque Isle, Caribou, Easton, Limestone, Vanburen, Madawaska, St Agatha, Mapleton, the list of really really great trail systems just goes on and on.

From that point on, the seeking of better trails and systems led us to Canada, OH MY, just incredible but very pricey.

Heck we were getting a motel room for 4 of us, for an entire week in Presque Isle, all for under $300, year after year after year!! And with my having to fuel all family sleds multiple times daily, and with the greatest selection of eateries, shopping and sled parts, that was our preferred spot for years!

Fast forward to the present: We trailer weekly about 1-2 hours from home for day rides, but save the longer multiple day trips for the county. It’s a long travel but just so worth it once you get spoiled by it! As they say, it is “Gods Country”.

Back