• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change —end of season

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Vector ltx GT
2010 MXZ X 1200
First year with the 2010 ltx gt, I absolutely love it. We had a less than stellar season here in Ontario and we only rode 700k. The oil is clean, smells fine. I'm thinking it might be a waste of time and money changing the oil. It's not cheap. The kit is $125

Curious which kit this is? I use 0w 40 arctic cat brand oil for $53 and kn filter for around $12.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Is this because Canadian prices are so F-ing high, or because you're being nice & supporting your local Yamaha stealer?

I go to Wal-Mart, buy a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 0w-30 for $25, and then go to my local Banana Wagon (Skidoo) dealer & buy a Hi-Flo HF147 filter for $8.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Yamaha Canada list 0w40 for $91.44 +tax that is what my dealer charges

Curious which kit this is? I use 0w 40 arctic cat brand oil for $53 and kn filter for around $12.

My prices quoted are Canadian. I work at a non brand dealership and these are the prices we charge. Yamaha prices are ridiculous.

I do support the dealership, they have been good to me. I do all my own maintenance and just use them for parts. Appreciate the savings on the oil and filter. I will probably go that route. We do get screwed with prices up here. But the real question . Is it a waste of time to change it. Spring is busy getting the boat ready and I would prefer to cut back on my workload

At 500 miles roughly, yes, I'd say it's a waste.

I didn't change mine last year with the whopping 550 I put on it. It's got 950 miles now combined from last year and this. I'll likely change it this spring.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I'd change it in the fall if at all.

First year with the 2010 ltx gt, I absolutely love it. We had a less than stellar season here in Ontario and we only rode 700k. The oil is clean, smells fine. I'm thinking it might be a waste of time and money changing the oil. It's not cheap. The kit is $125

That's a lot of miles... 700k is 700,000 miles..LOL

700 km . proably be fine.

Yes, I support my Yamaha dealer.

Blackstock motorsports? https://blackstockmotorsports.com/ I also like to support my dealer, but I will not pay Yamaha prices for their oil. It is way overpriced for what you get and there is nothing in it that is special that warrants that price.
I ran 3 liters of Yamalube and a Yamaha filter the first year I owned my Vector and have never went back. Been using Mobil-1 0W-40 European formula (More ZDDP) (CDN Tire/Partsource on sale) and a Hi-Flo filter (Clarington Cycle) which costs me under $50 for an oil change as opposed to over $90 for the Yamaha stuff.
Many posts on here, including mine, on how overpriced Yamalube and Yamaha filters are. Hi-Flo has been rumored to make Yamaha filters and some Yamaha dealers use them exclusively. Go figure. Yamaha also doesn't own its own refinery, someone else like Citgo or Nippon, who do, manufactures Yamalube for them.

Edit: To answer your question, I am a firm believer in changing out oil at least once a year despite the amount of miles on it, and it is better to change it out sooner rather than later, if you are going to change it. There is no sense having that dirty/acidic oil sitting in the crank case all summer if you are going to change it out in the fall anyways. (JMO)

Last edited:
Good luck with your 2010.. we had a 2010 and put 10,200 us miles no issues except donuts.. I would change it on an older machine like you have for sure this spring. I support the local dealer but for oil changes. I get the filters online and mobile one.. and like said above do it now as the old oil,acid's and old filter sit all summer..

I have 1000 from last year and 2500 miles on this year without oil change... mine will be changed this spring... again spring is better then fall

What made me form my opinion is it's a 2010 new to him????? used before or brand new sitting around for years.. better to be safe then sorry. The OP doesn't give us much detailed history.

Back