• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change,Front frame removal and starter removal Pics

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Here we go.Will add more comments and titles later but here are pics as taken as job was being done.If just doing oil change you can stop after airbox removal.However I would recommend doing the starter also.I previously did mine and Loctite on bolts kept them both tight all year so it is a good fix.Some minor mods can make this easier in future and may even allow oil change WITHOUT removing airbox and headlight.

Disconnect Battery!

Remove the black headlight cover then all three screws for headlight.Top one just pops out other two are adjusters.Lose the little clips in pic so you can leave side panels on next time.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 005.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 005.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,510

Once headlight is out you will need to remove all vacuum hoses and unplug sensors.Not seen is the vacuum hoses under the two MAP sensors so be careful pulling airbox out till they are removed.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 006.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 006.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,662
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 008.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 008.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,382
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 010.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 010.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,254
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 011.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 011.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,241
Then remove rubber plugs in airbox lid.3 of them.Using a long allen wrench remove screws you will now see.

At this point airbox will pull out.Dont forget the vacuum hoses under the map sensors(outfits attached to airbox with blue writing on them.

You can access the oil filter at this point.I use a big channel lock since yes it is very tight in there.Of course you already drained oil from the tank and engine which needs no explanation.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 007.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 007.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,209
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 009.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 009.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,225
From here on is what it takes to remove the entire front end and the starter.This is in addition to previous steps.Yes there may be other ways but this is the simplest without getting a sawzall involved :o| Its really not bad much scarier than it actually is.Biggest hinderance to doing this is the steering linkage.You cant remove it without removing airbox.I believe by flipping this bolt all the previous steps could be skipped since steering could be disconnected here.Front end removal could then be done by just removing the big sidepanels and next steps.If this works would be a timesaver for sure.Untested though and if you do flip the bolt make sure it is Loctited and use a good bendable cotterpin.Surely dont want it falling out!

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 002.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 002.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,241
First time it goes like this.Remove the safety clip and unbolt the steering arm here.Notice the punch marks.One on arm and one on splined shaft.They need to go back aligned so your bars stay aligned.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 014.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 014.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,216
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 016.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 016.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,243
Remove the oil inlet line from bottom of tank or remove the whole thing since there is a screen in there that should be cleaned once in awhile anyway.There is a O-ring seal on fitting.Dont lose it.You can also see one of the bolts needed for frame removal is covered by oiltank mount.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 030.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 030.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,328
Next remove three bolts holding radiator on frame and three bolts holding oil tank on frame.Also dont forget to unclip your idle adjustment screw from the frame.I always do this when changing filter also for more room.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 017.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 017.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,254
Support the main sled like this.It is fairly stable and never tipped but be careful.

Now you just remove all the bolts holding frame onto aluminum casting.Notice the top ones are black and shorter.All others are same so no worries.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 022.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 022.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,233
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 023.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 023.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,314
Call your buddies cause I guarantee they will freak when they see this :4STroke:

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 024.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 024.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,074
Cannondale27, you are the man! I was just getting ready to admit defeat and bring the sled into the dealership! After reading this post, I'll definately be doing the oil change myself. And YES, I am a bit lazy...

Now you can easily get at filter and starter almost falls out.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 026.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 026.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,343
  • Phazer Starter Removal.jpg
    Phazer Starter Removal.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,380
To fix potential starter failure you Loctite these bolts.ONE AT a TIME.If starter has already failed there is a slight green line and two little protrusions to line it back up and it should work then.Test it on battery before installing if it was failed.Use 272 or 262 Loctite.On these bolts and every other bolt and screw you removed.272 is permanent and even heat wont let it loose so maybe just starter bolts with that.Torquing would be advisable also.

Attachments

• Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 027.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 027.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,155
  • Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 028.jpg
    Phazer oil change,starter removal and frame drop 028.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,224
RedPhazer said:
Cannondale27, you are the man! I was just getting ready to admit defeat and bring the sled into the dealership! After reading this post, I'll definately be doing the oil change myself. And YES, I am a bit lazy...

Thanks.Dont get me wrong it takes time but isnt complicated.

Excellent post cannondale27.

I too am gearing up to do an oil change for the first time.
This will certainly help me.

Thanks! ;)!

Glad its a help.

Those of you who have removed the front end before take a look.Since I flipped this bolt around(only possible with airbox removed)Now I can disconnect steering here.So I believe I should be able to skip airbox,headlight and even upper sidepanel removal.Think I am right?Sure looks like it?Would save a ton of time and would move frontend removal to my preferred method for oil change.

Attachments

• Shocks 003.jpg
    Shocks 003.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,136

Back