• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change Poll - Spring or Fall

Do you change you engine oil in the spring or fall?

• Total voters
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Viper
Looking to see if people change their engine oil in the spring or fall. I have heard lots of arguments for both. I am looking to see what TY members are doing.

I was always taught that you should change oil before you put vehicle away to get oil with moisture in it out of vehicle. I change the oil and don't start sled till fall

I think this has already been beaten to death. The consensus is in the spring. That being said, I have been negligent and changed my oil mostly in the fall without any ill effect but always changed annually.

Change mine in summer when the weather is nicest.
Poll is missing a summer option.
Should also have a "I wait till the last minute" option haha

lol i try to get to them in the spring but they all get done between the spring and fall when i am doing the post/pre season on them.

I always change my in the fall. Moisture is going to build up either way in the summer even if you change it in the spring. I change my oil in the fall so that way it has zero moisture in it for the winter. That just my thinking. I really don't think its going to hurt anything either way. The only important part is to do it annually.

Normally have the dealer do an annual service in the spring at the end of riding. What with the virus thing, likely a fall service this year!

Does everyone change the filer also each time you do the oil?
I have been doing my filters every other year, oil itself done during the preseason inspection in the fall.

Every year. Why leave an old filter with old oil in it? Yeah, I know what Yamaha says but you're really gonna dick around for $20?

i usually change it on the apex's and rx sleds. the rs venture every 2nd year as it is a pita to get to that filter.

Spring, get the moisture out.
During season bringing sled up to operating temperature removes all moisture. Sitting in storage all off season would sure induce moisture. So do it in fall IMHO.
The cost of the filter not an issue, the PITA to get to it is not another issue. The filter going to land fill when I feel could easily be reused for another 2500 miles just seems like a no brainer, now if running a Turbo, I would probably do it every oil change. Again IMO

:rofl:
I was always taught that you should change oil before you put vehicle away to get oil with moisture in it out of vehicle. I change the oil and don't start sled till fall

Well imo spring is always best option. There’s more than just moisture to worry about. The corrosion inhibitors in the oil, degrade over time. As oil gets old it can in itself build up acidity, especially if you have flooded the engine once or twice. If you want the safest route change it before storage and start you engine circulating the fresh oil throughout. Remember too start your machine during the summer once or twice and let it fully warm up, that will evaporate any moisture that has accumulated in the crankcase. It will also prevent the valve seats from rusting and injectors from sticking. FYI storing sleds in an enclosed trailer is very stressful because of the huge temperature swings.
If you live in Canada it doesn’t mater because summer only lasts 3 weeks
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Doing nothing and waiting until fall will probably have no ill effects, but why take the chance?

Last edited:

Back