• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change

SAB1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
2010 Vector GT
2006 Apex
My son bought an '06 Apex. We got on it a couple times. Nice sled. I was reading in manual last night about oil change. Why do they only describe the oil change without a filter change? I was in the sticky how to section and saw for the Attack you get into headlight movement and battery box moving etc. Is that what we are up against? On my RS Venture they detail the whole process with the filter replacement so before I start tearing into it.....just like to know.

Airbox & battery have to come out for filter access. Not the headlight.

After you've done it once, it's not that bad a job; gives you the opportunity to look over the interior of the sled for issues before they become problems. I think the manual says oil filter every 12,000 but I do mine every other year.

Kaz said:
theCATman said:
Airbox & battery have to come out for filter access. Not the headlight.

To remove the air box you need to remove the head light assembly. With the head light out of the way you can access to the clamps holding the air box boots on the carbs.
PS: check the tech section on how to's, lots of pic's of what needs to come off.
http://www.ulmerracing.com/Complete.pdf

Kaz

Sorry, but you're wrong.

I guess if you either...

A: wanna make more work for yourself you remove the headlight assy

B: don't own any long reach screwdrivers to access the THROTTLE BODY clamps

I've changed oil/filter & batteries on two Apex's, one Vector, & one RS Nytro. Never once did I remove the headlight assy to remove & replace the airbox. The only time I had the headlight assy off was to change sparkplugs & exhaust donuts on my Apex.

THKSNOW said:
After you've done it once, it's not that bad a job; gives you the opportunity to look over the interior of the sled for issues before they become problems. I think the manual says oil filter every 12,000 but I do mine every other year.

X2 on this ;)!

Thanks much. Last Q. I have never not changed an oil filter when changing oil. Why would you leave dirty oil in the filter and put clean oil in?

I hear ya, but I can see where Yamaha is coming from.

The engine isn't exposed to dirt, so really the only thing the filter is trapping would be possibly a few metal shavings. And after a 1,000 miles on a new engine, there shouldn't be any of that either.

The little bit of oil in the filter is just that, very little. I change oil in both sleds every spring regardless of miles put on, but do the filter every other year.

Thanks for the reply. A few weeks ago he picked up an '06 APex off a guy that 170 miles on it. I rode it once when we looked at and told him I was buying it if he didnt. I am on an '06 Venture. I have typically changed my oil in the spring but we got so few miles on the sleds this season I was debating changing it in the fall.Maybe I can skip the filter since the oil is still clean.

12,000 MILES OR 20,000 KMS BELIEVE IT OR NOT AS PER MANUAL.

I DO MINE EVERY OTHER YEAR FOR PIECE OF MIND

SAB1 said:
Thanks for the reply. A few weeks ago he picked up an '06 APex off a guy that 170 miles on it. I rode it once when we looked at and told him I was buying it if he didnt. I am on an '06 Venture. I have typically changed my oil in the spring but we got so few miles on the sleds this season I was debating changing it in the fall.Maybe I can skip the filter since the oil is still clean.

170 miles total!?! HOLY SHEEOT!! Brand new '06 model. Nice.

May I ask what he paid for it?

I'd get that oil & filter out of there. No miles, but been sitting, maybe the guy would start it every now & then. If so, the oil is contaminated with moisture.

oil without miles but with greater
length of time turns acidic and can cause damage...

It only has 170 miles?

It needs the oil and filter changed once it gets passed the break in period.

We dropped the oil when we got it to be safe. He paid $4,500. I got my 06 Venture in 2011 with 340 miles on it.

Attachments

• Scott's snow mobiles.jpg
    Scott's snow mobiles.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 97
yamahas said:
It only has 170 miles?

It needs the oil and filter changed once it gets passed the break in period.

170 miles or 10 miles...its 6+ years of sitting with that oil...it needs that oil out right now!

Back