• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change

Vmax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Arctic Cat ZR 6000 El Tigre
I just got into the 4 stroke world Feb 2019. The oil was changed before I picked my sled up according to the dealer. I have put on about 2500 miles since then, not sure if they used synthetic oil or not I will call them and find out. Can someone give me a guideline on synthetic or regular oil, sorry I don't trust the dealer to give me an honest answer

Here ya go. Buy a Yamaha oil change kit, it comes with 4 quarts/filter/o ring and drain plug washer-seal

Attachments

• 53296D09-2BBC-4979-836E-FE676F05A9D2.jpeg
    53296D09-2BBC-4979-836E-FE676F05A9D2.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for the reply but still not sure how many miles between oil changes

Unless you do 4k or more a season, once a year before the start of the new season

Awesome thanks

This seems to be a highly debated topic. Do you change your oil in the spring or fall? I have read past posts and everyone seems to have an opinion as to why the do it after the riding season or before the riding season. By any chance can a dealer or someone from Yamaha comment on this?

Fall for me as you have fresh oil when you start riding, otherwise you risk condensation in your motor and oil tank in the off season depending where you store you're sled and if you start it or not.

Yamaha along with several other manufactures recommend changing oil before storage and not to repeatedly start the engine during the off season. The engine oil becomes slightly acidic after use which can be more damaging than letting it sit for the summer with fresh oil. I personally don't believe enough moisture if any gets into the oil during storage and the the old oil contains many contaminates that can be harmful when left in the engine for extended periods so I recommend changing it prior to storage. I also like to have all repairs and services done so when the new season hits I'm not scrambling to get things done.

With that said, people have done it both ways for many years and I've never heard of an engine failure that can be directly linked to either method so take your pick. What's important here is that it's being serviced at proper intervals.

Yamaha along with several other manufactures recommend changing oil before storage and not to repeatedly start the engine during the off season. The engine oil becomes slightly acidic after use which can be more damaging than letting it sit for the summer with fresh oil. I personally don't believe enough moisture if any gets into the oil during storage and the the old oil contains many contaminates that can be harmful when left in the engine for extended periods so I recommend changing it prior to storage. I also like to have all repairs and services done so when the new season hits I'm not scrambling to get things done.

With that said, people have done it both ways for many years and I've never heard of an engine failure that can be directly linked to either method so take your pick. What's important here is that it's being serviced at proper intervals.
X2 what Grizz said - the contaminants in the used oil can do damage to bearings, journals, sensors and seals. The damage may not be catastrophic right away the next season but it can add up over the years which may turn into and issue you have to resolve.

Back