• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change?

chadman

Expert
I can ride another 400 miles before I have 2000 miles since my last oil change but, there is no way that I am going to come close to putting on another 2000 miles this year before I store it for the summer. What should I do? I also think that I saw something about the yamaha oil filter only needs to be changed every 12000 miles is that correct? It is a 07 apex rtxer.

You should ba able to go 3000 miles and not worry . I would change the filter every oil change because your new oil in an old filter I have never liked.

oil and filter

Why would any one even consider taking a chance ruining a perfectly good hi performance motor on a 10,000 machine to save 10.00 for one
oil filter?Common sense come's into play here! Think about it.

:die :jump:

I will change filter every time. Can I run over 2000 miles on a change? Are there different filters other than yamaha filters?

Chadman, I'd run it with the current oil until you're done riding this season and then change the oil AND filter before letting it sit all summer.

This is an excerpt from the Maximum sled web site i'm assuming the Apex is the same.

"The FX Nytro X-XT still features the iron-clad Genesis 130 FI engine that gets great fuel economy and ponies up about 138+ horsepower. One of the neat things that Yamaha is telling us is that while the oil should be changed every season or 2500 miles, the filter needs only to be changed once every 12,000 miles after the initial 500 break-in oil change. This is because the engine utilizes a closed system and the oil basically isn’t contaminated with a lot of particles from gears and clutches like a motorcycle engine’s oil would be. The filter used on a Yamaha 4-stroke snowmobile engine is a high performance filter that is basically overbuilt for the application and need not be changed so often.

The only problem I have with that statement is when you introduce new oil to the contents of an old filter, the oil becomes contaminated. I change mine once a year regardless of mileage.

I have been so busywith stuff that I don't need that I just changed the oil at 600mi. it was black.

Im hopeing the filter can hold on for a few weeks more. It's the original filter that came with the sled new. I neve did things like this but I'm alot older and my back is going..so is my life style..makes me want to :drink: but I don't. ;)!

Wish I had a good pension. I an't going to give them $130.00 for an oil change. And it may not be done right.

Too bad one of you guys didn't live near by. I would make ya a deal to help me.

Back