• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil changing problems?

YamiRage07

Veteran
I'am changing my oil and filter for the first time and i got the filter replaced and the drain plugs all taken out and drained all the old oil out and replaced them. Went to go and start adding the new oil and got almost 2 quarts dumped in and it almost over filled on me. must be doing something wrong and wanna know if i could get some help thanks for any input. David

The manual says to add 1.6 quarts to the oil tank, then start the engine and let it warm up, and then check the oil level and add additional oil as necessary to bring the level up to the "H" mark on the dipstick (with the dipstick NOT screwed in). Did you make sure you had the cylinder head cap removed while draining and filling? It should take 2.5 quarts total, but unless you start the engine after adding the initial 1.6 or so quarts, the oil isn't going to work its way through the engine and filter, and you'll have too much in the reservoir (I think).

No i didnt take cylinder head cap off when i was draining the oil, was this a big deal? the oil tank is pretty full now is that ok when starting it to let it warm to get the oil into the motor?

YamiRage07 said:
No i didnt take cylinder head cap off when i was draining the oil, was this a big deal? the oil tank is pretty full now is that ok when starting it to let it warm to get the oil into the motor?

I think they recommend taking the cylinder head cap off for venting purposes, to make sure all of the oil drains out. Sorta like taking the vent cap off of a 5 gallon gas can, it needs air to drain.

What level does your dipstick read? If you only added 2Q to the reservoir then you're probably ok with starting the engine. Or worst case if you're worried about having too juch oil just loosen the tank plug a bit and let some oil out. If the tank is filled to the top, that probably isn't such a good thing (just guessing as I am in no way an expert here).

well i went out and started it up and the oil level went down but it only went down to like just above the full mark. do you think i should redrain the oil and start over with the head cap off for venting and do it the right way? i do have 3 extra quarts. thanks for the help.

The cap really needs to be loose...... If you do it right the sled takes 3 liters on the nose................ Dump two in the tank.. Start it and then add the last one.. MM.

by saying the cap needs to be lose do you mean and head cap? and should i take the dip stick out when draining the oil as well?and then when you say dump 2 quarts in the tank do you mean the oil tank where the dip stick is? sorry if these are dumb questions just wanting to make sure i do it the right way.
Thanks David.

YamiRage07 said:
well i went out and started it up and the oil level went down but it only went down to like just above the full mark. do you think i should redrain the oil and start over with the head cap off for venting and do it the right way? i do have 3 extra quarts. thanks for the help.

You're ok then, as long as the oil level isn't too high, and it sounds like you're level is good! Yamaha recommends changing the filter every 12,000 miles, so if you follow their recommendations you'll naturally have some used oil circulating through the engine from the unreplaced filter with each oil change up to their 12k chang interval. I wouldn't worry at all!

MadMax said:
The cap really needs to be loose...... If you do it right the sled takes 3 liters on the nose................ Dump two in the tank.. Start it and then add the last one.. MM.

My manual says it will take 2.5L with filter replacement, 2.3 without, and the total amount is 3.2 liters. I assume not all of the oil drains?

changing the oil in these sleds is as bad as changing the oil in my M109. its a pain in the #*$&@ but its worth it. :4STroke: its snowing here, too bad its going to change to rain.

If you drain all the oil from the engine meaning from the holding tank and from the drain at the bottom of the engine as well as changing the filter, the engine takes exactly 3 Liters. That is equal to 3.2 quarts. That's it. Two Liters go into the holding tank and one Liter goes into the top where the cap is located. The reason for the oil in the top hole is to prevent any dry starts after completing an oil change. My dealer says this step is very important.

To properly drain the oil you need to have both the cap on the valve cover off AND the dipstick out of the tank. Not having them out can cause a vacuum lock in the tank or engine resulting some oil remaining in the system.

I change both oil and filter every time and it takes 3 quarts.

Back