• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil coming out airbox

Jordan grant

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 yamaha viper ltx-dx
hey I noticed oil coming out of air box sled is just purchased 2107 viper with 4000 kms. I noticed oil coming out its a line about quarter to half inch all around airbox. Don't see anynpooling havent pulled hood yet to get closer look will do that tonight. I saw threads on here about issue. Could be seperator, hard riding or overfilling from what I gather. I just bought sled so I have no idea on riding and checked oil its in the high end of normal range. Any info and input would be great hoping its overfilling and not mechanical i can't afford to fix. I've attached pics. Thanks guys

This has been reported regularly. I think it’s a return line and NOT an indication of a serious issue. Others will likely chime in and give you the details of just what it is and how it works but I think to clean it out and not worry is all that’s needed.

This has been reported regularly. I think it’s a return line and NOT an indication of a serious issue. Others will likely chime in and give you the details of just what it is and how it works but I think to clean it out and not worry is all that’s needed.
Thanks two questions already have me at ease about my new purchase thanks again yamadoo

hey I noticed oil coming out of air box sled is just purchased 2107 viper with 4000 kms. I noticed oil coming out its a line about quarter to half inch all around airbox. Don't see anynpooling havent pulled hood yet to get closer look will do that tonight. I saw threads on here about issue. Could be seperator, hard riding or overfilling from what I gather. I just bought sled so I have no idea on riding and checked oil its in the high end of normal range. Any info and input would be great hoping its overfilling and not mechanical i can't afford to fix. I've attached pics. Thanks guys
The crankcase is vented into the airbox so its normal to get a little in the airbox and overtime it will accumulate enough to make it look worse then it is. It causes no harm. If you keep the oil level halfway between the low and high marks it will reduce the mess in the airbox . I get none in my box anymore on my sidewinder doing this. Remember to check your oil with engine hot for accurate results on these models. I check mine when I return from a ride.

Your oil in the air box is from overfilling. The dip sticks are all marked wrong. Here is my proof.

I have a 2015 XF7000 with the sight glass on the side of the oil tank. I fill it just to the top of the glass and no more after it has been running and the tank is filled.

My sons 2017 has no sight glass but you can see the mark in the casting where it was. Now take the dip stick out and wipe it off. Hold it beside the tank at the height it would be if fully screwed down. Look where the dip stick marks are compared with the sight glass casting mark. The proper oil height is about 1/4" on the bottom of the dip stick.

My sons 2017 blew oil into the air box last winter. It was a new left over machine, properly filled to the dumb #*$&@ dip stick. I kept adding oil and it kept blowing it out. This spring I figured it out comparing to my 2015. Lower your oil level and wash out the air box. You will be fine.

They have the oil level up to the height of or higher than the scavange pumps return line. That pump blows more air than oil which just blows the oil up to the roll over valve and into the air box.

I never lost a drop with my 2015 properly filled to the top of the sight glass in five years.

It's normal. I like to take out the separator, clean it and let it dry every time I do an oil change. Over time it collects water which can freeze the whole thing, eventually leading to a huge mess. Then again I have a cold air intake so I'm probably more prone to condensation. You can also relocate the return line from the oil tank to the engine mag cover, I've been told it eliminates this problem. I believe MPI has this kit. But it's not really a big deal, you can always try what the others mentioned.

Putting it on the side would also trigger it. This season I filled 1L less than recommended and still had oil coming in there.

Putting it on the side would also trigger it. This season I filled 1L less than recommended and still had oil coming in there.

Just got it so maybe I was on its side or rolled idk it doesnt have any damage other than windshield pop rivets are gone. Which i think is from hitting branches down the trail. Theres a couple scratches on windshield which indicate that.I don't think it was rolled but very well could have been on its side. I'm thinking between the oil being high and the previous owner starting it up a bunch for different potential buyers thats the issue.

Just got it so maybe I was on its side or rolled idk it doesnt have any damage other than windshield pop rivets are gone. Which i think is from hitting branches down the trail. Theres a couple scratches on windshield which indicate that.I don't think it was rolled but very well could have been on its side. I'm thinking between the oil being high and the previous owner starting it up a bunch for different potential buyers thats the issue.

I haven't rolled a viper/winder yet but from my experience with every other sled the only way those pop rivets come out is if the sled is on it's top, not from just hitting branches on the trail.

EDIT: either that or the windshield was swapped and the previous owner didn't put them all back in.

If 8t was ro
SidewinderConvemember: 33245 said:
I haven't rolled a viper/winder yet but from my experience with every other sled the only way those
EDIT: either that or the windshield was swapped and the previous owner didn't put them all back in.
If it was rolled what should I be looking for slash worried about mechanically

If 8t was ro
If it was rolled what should I be looking for slash worried about mechanically

Check if tunnel is bent (use a line-laser or measure diagonals). If the panels/hood are damaged you could check if anything has a dent on the inside, for example the exhaust can.
Give the steering a shake, maybe the bearing around the top of steering post is broken, or maybe loose bolts on the steering gate.

Check if tunnel is bent (use a line-laser or measure diagonals). If the panels/hood are damaged you could check if anything has a dent on the inside, for example the exhaust can.
Give the steering a shake, maybe the bearing around the top of steering post is broken, or maybe loose bolts on the steering gate.

Thanks I will check all that and report back i can see any visual damage on any panels or tunnel but i will check more thoroughly sucks buyong a sled in summer cant test ride it. But the price isusually better

Thanks I will check all that and report back i can see any visual damage on any panels or tunnel but i will check more thoroughly sucks buyong a sled in summer cant test ride it. But the price isusually better

I feel you, bought my winder in spring so I could test ride it but missed the coolant leak. The guy must have filled the coolant up to get it to run the 10 mins it did before I bought it, next weekend all the coolant was on my garage floor.

Back