1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil coming out airbox

Discussion in 'SR Viper Talk' started by Jordan grant, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:17 PM.

1. Jordan grant

Jordan grant Newbie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2017 yamaha viper ltx-dx
    hey I noticed oil coming out of air box sled is just purchased 2107 viper with 4000 kms. I noticed oil coming out its a line about quarter to half inch all around airbox. Don't see anynpooling havent pulled hood yet to get closer look will do that tonight. I saw threads on here about issue. Could be seperator, hard riding or overfilling from what I gather. I just bought sled so I have no idea on riding and checked oil its in the high end of normal range. Any info and input would be great hoping its overfilling and not mechanical i can't afford to fix. I've attached pics. Thanks guys

3. yamadoo

yamadoo Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'. Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    15 Viper STX DX red/white
    13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK
    10 Vector LTX Blue
    11 Venture Gt
    86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
    This has been reported regularly. I think it’s a return line and NOT an indication of a serious issue. Others will likely chime in and give you the details of just what it is and how it works but I think to clean it out and not worry is all that’s needed.

sailor joe likes this.
  4. Jordan grant

Jordan grant Newbie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2017 yamaha viper ltx-dx
    Thanks two questions already have me at ease about my new purchase thanks again yamadoo

5. justinator

justinator Lifetime Member Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2020 sidewinder xtx se
    The crankcase is vented into the airbox so its normal to get a little in the airbox and overtime it will accumulate enough to make it look worse then it is. It causes no harm. If you keep the oil level halfway between the low and high marks it will reduce the mess in the airbox . I get none in my box anymore on my sidewinder doing this. Remember to check your oil with engine hot for accurate results on these models. I check mine when I return from a ride.