• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil coming out into air box.

backwoodsman

My ol' man has oil blowing out in to the air box on his 2011 Vk, any ideas what it may be?

More info... The oil is coming for the tube that comes from the top of the resivour tank. Lost about half a liter in about 6km.

Just bought a used 2007 vk pro from a dealer with 1800 miles on it.... basically pretty nice shape. Dove it 30 miles after buying it... decided to go thru it and change the oil. Started it up in the garage on dollies to let it warm up and then voila... after 4 minutes or so of unattended idling had a huge oil slick appear under sled. Prior to this sled was running great and very clean under engine.Same as you oil was pumping thru airbox then out of airbox drain. Decided to pull the entire oil reservoir off the sled as well as all included hoses. Cleaned all components including the oil valve with carb clean. Also the small sealed box in the corner of airbox which has a drain hose to crankcase. Drain off airbox that went to crankcase was suspect. Make sure these are clear. Check with oil filter and crank drain off. Re installed everything and has not happened since. Do I trust this machine now? I took it for a 100 mile ride after doing this and have not lost a drop. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it. The information previously posted about this issue has been invaluable to me in helping me deal with this issue. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
This happened to my 2006 once. The elbow at the bottom of the hose going from the right side bottom of the air box to the crankcase was plugged with ice. I took off the line at the elbow and found ice. Thawed it out with mini torch and seemed to fix problem. Has not happen since. Not sure it was just a build up of condensation or lots of deep powered riding. I would check that hose for obstruction first. Not hard to get at. Run a piece of wire in to check for open. The elbow is the lowest spot so makes sense for water collection point.

This happened to my 2006 once. The elbow at the bottom of the hose going from the right side bottom of the air box to the crankcase was plugged with ice. I took off the line at the elbow and found ice. Thawed it out with mini torch and seemed to fix problem. Has not happen since. Not sure it was just a build up of condensation or lots of deep powered riding. I would check that hose for obstruction first. Not hard to get at. Run a piece of wire in to check for open. The elbow is the lowest spot so makes sense for water collection point.
Yes I think you nailed it... the small drain hose that goes from the airbox to the crankcase seemed to me to be plugged also. I used air to blow thru it . Also found small amount of sludge on the suction strainer inside the oil tank. I like the wire idea. Thanks.

Yes I think you nailed it... the small drain hose that goes from the airbox to the crankcase seemed to me to be plugged also. I used air to blow thru it . Also found small amount of sludge on the suction strainer inside the oil tank. I like the wire idea. Thanks.
That drain hose can be an issue you're right, and also tipping it on it's side even if only for a few seconds will suck oil into the breather and create a suction, cleaning these hoses and the airbox/filter are crucial.

Update... have been driving it with no oil issues to date since cleaning the drain hose.

Fast forward from 2018 post... just went out to start my vk sitting in the shop Its October. Aprox 2 plus years. To my surprise oil thru air box problem surfaced again. Is it time already to clean this hose again? Have been using good clean oil etc. This is happening at idle even? Hell the thing is still on the dollies? I did not put more than a thousand kilometres on it since I last had this problem. Is it the 0-40. Needs to get to 40 weight before this happens? Your thoughts anyone????????

every couple of years on my 4 stroke sleds, i pull and clean the strainer in the bottom of the oil tank. always have some build up on them and i only use yamalube in them.

every couple of years on my 4 stroke sleds, i pull and clean the strainer in the bottom of the oil tank. always have some build up on them and i only use yamalube in them. Thanks for the tip.

Back