• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL CONSUMPTION

no recent news around here, anybody else? didn't use a drop of oil.

No oil consumption on my RX-1! Try asking the cats and doo guys and girls....

how do u guys drive?

If u guys have been following this issue,u know i have been plaqued w/problems all last year,now LB may have hit the nail on the head,w/a statement about the oil line that comes out of the crank case,not having a pcv valve or a valve in place to stop pressure from pushing oil out and into air box to be spit out the carbs,at extended full throttle runs. Thats wy i asked how u guys drive,myself and a few guys in the county in nothern Maine drive hard all the time even WFO thru the big fields,and down the rail beds mile after mile at 10,500 rpms it only makes sence oil will go somewhere,but even trucks,and cars have valves on the hose coming from the crankcase,just for this problem,so we will be looking into this before this winter comes and goes,any thoughts or coments would be helpful. thanks pete

Make sure you keep checking the breather tube that goes into the airbox at least once a day... If the tube ices over, there will be your biggest problem with the oil loss...

I burned oil all last season. I am very suprised to hear that some people have not burned any at all. We ride long days at high speeds (3500 miles in 13 days of riding for the season) and I burned on average about a litre (quart) of oil every 1000 miles. It's perfectly normal to burn oil in the first 5000 miles for this engine. According to a very reputable R1 mechanic I spoke with, this is very common with the bikes as well. I wouldn't worry about it. GRAPEAPE is right about the breather hose...I remeber this being a problem for some last year. I rode 1 day in -32C at high speeds and luckily did not have this happen but I hear it's a real B&$#H when it does...oil all over the place.

Re iceing up

Being a former General Motors Parts guy ive founr that almost all cars/trucks come with a pcv valve but there is one case that dosent.
The Gm 2400 Quad four found in 96^ Cavaliers and Sunfires dosent have a pcv valve the have what is called an oil seperator what i believe it does is seperate the oil from the moisture .It does this by having a chamber that traps the heavier oil and returns it to the engine and takes the lighter water and soaks it up in a chamber with an absorbant material in it and after a bunch of miles it has to be replaced. What i did find wierd tho is and this may be a Canadian thing only due to our tempetures but the main hose from the engine to the seperator has a small 12v heating element to prevent freezing of the moisture in the hose. Im not sure if this set up will help anyone but its just my insite on a simalar problem found in larger 4 strokes. Funny we never had to worry about positive crankcase pressures b4 with a 2-stroker hehe. Ah the joys of new technology. :D

BURNING OIL AND OIL BLOW BY ARE TOO SEPERATE ENTITY'S,If your burning oil you ethier haven't broke your engine in fully or you haven't broke it in properly.If it's just oil blow by that's normal if your're riding at high rpm's the oil get's thrown up to the top of the cam cover and the breather hose or vent tube is routed to the airbox to burn the excess,some drag racer's/roadracer's vent it right back to the filler hole where they pour in the oil for the engine(clutch side).

Well i am not sure if i am burning oil or just using it thru the lack of a pcv valve,and pressure from exsessive rpm use,but i do know a qt.every 200-300 miles is to damn much,and my dealer thinks that is the problem,to much high speed running,so i am not to happy to hear this,i thought yamaha would of engeneered a little more thought into this,knowing damn well alot of hard riders run wfo in certain areas that permit it, the verdict is still out,any thoughts would be helpful,so i guess all i have to do is wait and see if at 5,000 miles it stops lol well that wont be long,3,800 miles now and it hasent gotton one bit better,hell i dont think i used that much 2- stroke oil in 200 miles lol.

I'm sure someone will be more up on this than myself but my understanding is that the 04's have done some type of ventilation plumbing change to reduce oil consumption. Can anyone validate this?

Ok 1 of 2 thing's ethier you are putting to much oil in the dry sump to begin with after an oil change or sorry to say you didn't break the engine in properly,and most important of all the ring's is the oil ring this one keep's the oil from reaching the combustion chamber.As I stated before oil blow by at high rpm's is normal and should be directed to the airbox to be burnt off.

If the RX1 motor has a windage plate, then hi rpm running should not result in blowby. If a motor was broken in easy, it will have blowby (which occurs when the rings are letting compression into the crankcase) until the rings fully seat. It might be worth pulling it apart, putting new rings in, and breaking it in hard! What we're really talking about is a build up of oil vapor that has no where to go, and the vapor can travel. Add some crankcase pressure, and it'll go every where. Good luck!

Back