• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil in air box

Al

Hi, my 2005 vector has just started pumping oil into the airbox. Allready did a search and checked the following: the drain line from filter box to crank case- no kinks, not plugged; oil level in middle of dip stick-warm; no brown looking oil in tank or in head- checked by looking in valve cover filler plug. The valve attached to the delta box with oil hoses running to it seems to hold some pressure- not sure if this is the cause. Any other thoughts on this problem?
Thx
Al

Check the oil the way it says in the owner manual my 05 rage did the same thing dealer drained 8ounces of oil out now ok these 973 do not use oil

I had this happen twice this fall. Both times it was on initial start up and cold in the morning (-25 and -18) I heard there was a check valve in these engines that requires pressure from the engine too open it and allow the oil to get to the resevoir and not flow back into the engine that was sticking. Possible due to water or condensation (could even be related too the type of gas - ethanol in the gas can create water) Each time it would quit doing it if I shut it off and restarted it. After the second time I took it in to have the valve changed. The mechanic took it out cleaned and reinstalled it as he said there was nothing wrong with it. Since then no more problem so I believe by cleaning and drying it off he removed the condensation on it and solved the problem.

I also hear this is was a typical problem with motor cycle engines - some guys simply remove the valve - however if you tipped the snow machine over oil could then flow into the engine - you do not tip over motor cycles.

oil in airbox

update - for sure it is not a over fill issue. I have run it very low and still pushes oil into the box. I tryed blowing air thru the 3/8 inch line that goes from the air box oil/air seperator to the crank case and it is plugged,, not the line but in the case/block. This line drains the oil/air seperator. Anyone have an electronic file of the engine manual for this motor? or a link to one they have used and were satisfied with the quality.
Thx for the responses.
Al

Found the problem, piece of plastic crap was wedged in the crankcase to air box line right at the metal elbow into the generator cover. This prevented the oil from draining back into the oil pan from the oil/air seperator in the airbox.

Hey Al,

I'm having the exact same issue on my wife's 05 vector. I've got a few questions, if you don't mind?

First, did the oil/air seperator continue to pump oil out, with the airbox removed (engine running) My wife's does.

Leads me to think that the 'kink' I found in the crank/airbox line wasn't the issue, but I'm not sure. :dunno:

Second, where is the 'elbow' you are refering to? The previous owner looks to have made the crank vent line longer, likely to make removing the airbox without disconnecting the hoses easier.... So I don't have an elbow.

Thanks.

oil in airbox

Yes, the oil continually circulates thru the airbox oil/air seperator via the valve bolted on the upper frame with 3/4 inch hoses to the oil tank and airbox. The 1/4 inch or so line at the bottom of the oil/air seperator in the air box that goes down to the bottom of the motor should be clear and free of kinks. The hose is short and routing should be below the metal battery bracket to prevent a kink when the air box is on. I lengthened mine also. Where it connects to the motor is the elbow that was plugged on mine with a piece of plastic crap in it. The elbow is part of the cover to the generator and the line from the airbox returns oil thru the cover to the oil pan. Oil level is critical on these engines, to high and excess ends up in the airbox. Check after engine has been warmed up and shut off for 8 or so minutes to alow for the engine oil to stabilize, oil should be half way between the marks on the dip stick.
good luck.

99.9% it was the kinked hose.... Lost the snow before I could give it a 'live' test, but whe ran at idled for 15 mins, no oil leaking in the airbox anymore. :Rockon:

Back