• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil leak after no-start?

Jeffz

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX 40th
2007 Phazer "RTX"
I regrettably left my 07 out last night and this morning (-15) it would not start. I went inside to get my battery charger and when i came back out there was a drip and puddle under the skid plate. I will tear it apart this afternoon but was wondering if anyone might have an idea why or where its leaking from.

Sometimes when parking a warm sled where it is very cold the aluminum the hoses attach too changes size with the cold and allows a loose connection. If leak goes away when warm you have your answer. I suggest if this is the case of tightening the affected clamp when engine is warm.

They're spring clamps, no way to tighten them. I could put screw-type clamps on i suppose. There was no puddle before i tried starting it.

I let it melt off in a heated garage over night. I removed as much of the plastics as I could to look everything over. The leak seemed to come from the oil filter. After letting it idle in the shop for 10 minutes, there were no visible leaks or drips coming from anywhere. I'm thinking the cold temps caused something to shrink and puke a little oil out and after it warmed up, it was fine. I'll ride today and keep an eye on things.

i had same or similar issue on monday, overnight -20, approx -10 at time trying to start - 5-6 cranks, she started with little throttle, but puked small puddle oil just under belly pan - let me know if you had any issues since your friday ride - i hope i had same and it was leak from oil filter due to cold

No other oil problems, but I only put maybe 50 miles on that day and my driver bearing went out and took my speed sensor with. All fixed now and i'll be riding this week. Glad to know that its happened before.

I wouldn't use a gear clamp. They tend to cut into the hose. Stick with the spring clamp. It has the ability to move and stay tight under all temp condition.

Nope, just a tether, but i haven't had it on its side in a few years. Also, i won't be using a hose clamp, I'll stick with the stock spring-type.

Cold oil doesn't flow well and squirts out around the oil filter O-ring. Happened on my Vector when I hadn't torqued it enough.

Semi-syn and full synthetic helps if you run dino oil.

Ruggybuggy said:
Jeffz said:
Amsoil 0w40 synthetic.

Dont the Phazers require 0w30?

It does say that in the manual, but many Phazer owners on here are running 0w-40. No problems here with well over 6000 miles.

Back