• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Level Checking Frequency?

RX-Kid

Veteran
How often do folks check the oil level on their Phazers? I ask this question for two reasons: 1) I have the original RX-1 and she eats a bit of oil during the season. So I typically check it after every weekend ride. 2) The Phazer does not have a hood that can be quickly popped open! You need an allen wrench to get the side panel off (why doesn't it use the same 1/4 turn setup that is on the left side of the sled?). It would seem to me that riding my sled for 15 minutes then pulling off the side of the trail and getting out an allen wrench to check the oil would be a PITA. I'm hoping that this sled doesn't use oil, so checking the oil level is not something you need to do very frequently?

I have an 03 Rx1 also and I have to check the oil every other ride. My 07 Phazer FX does not use any oil and it stays very clean looking also, that siad, I check the Phazer oil about every 6- 7 day of riding and it is allways full.

i havent checked my oil since the 500 mile check just checked it the other day when i was puttin it away for the summer and its still full ive got 1928 miles but i have a 03 rx1 with 10188 miles and i have to check the oil before every ride it burns about a qt per 450 miles

Sounds like I don't have to worry about check all the time

Glad to hear that I don't have to check the oil level all the time. No need to have the right side of the sled pop off without an allen wrench then. I will probably check it at first to make sure its not burning any. Thanks guys! :Rockon:

it's 1/4 turn

the hardest part is getting the allen wrench out because those fasteners are 1/4 turn too. But I agree that they could have made them thumb screws to make it a tad easier

i too have a 2003 RX-1. My Brother has an 2003 RX-1 with over 12,000 miles on it. YES, 12,000 miles. They both use oil. The fixed that on the 2004 with a different piston ring.

With taht said, I have a 2008 FXNytro MTX and a couple 2007 Phazers. I checked all when I change the oil, and before any long weekend trip of any importance. I have yet to add any oil. Over 2000 miles and they do not seem to use any oil.

If ur just trail riding then you probably wont have to worry about checking too often but if you ride in the mountains and lay it on its side or roll it you may lose some oil through the breather into air box. Just something to keep in mind.

I should probably check mine more than I do. Owner's manual does say before each ride, but I agree, it's a PITA to remove the panels.

Last year, when it was new, I checked every 2nd weekend. Never went down a drop.

This year, I have only checked it 3 or 4 times all season.

Still hasn't gone down a drop!! Will roll over to 5000 miles this weekend ... good stuff!

;)!

Back