• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil on floor under Sidewinder

Smithsco

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder S-TX
Was straightening up my garage, and noticed this spot of oil on the floor under my Sidewinder, right under the exhaust.

When I put it away in the spring, I had let it run for 5 minutes (+/-) to let the fuel stabilizer circulate through, is this just excess oil pushing through the exhaust in a cold engine?

Attachments

• Oil spot.jpg
    Oil spot.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80

Leaking engine oil seal/gasket. So the roll over valve is not working properly/and or the seal on the oil gasket is blown out. Either from excessive pressure because roll over valve is a POS. Or the gasket material was not applied properly and or not enough gasket material from factory. Lots of guys have done the Roll over valve (ROV)delete on the Sidewinders. It could ALSO be the chain case oil. Some guys hit things underside while off trail and don't realize they damaged chaincase>broken ear on the magnesium chain case, or cracked case. My money is on blown out/compromised engine oil gasket. Lots of posts about this on this site. Do some searching and reading. Barn of parts sells a seal also.

Perhaps engine oil drips from an oil change where engine oil got all over belly pan and heat shielding material?
This is very true, then when it is run the heat causes the oil to more easly drip out, seen this personaly...before my removible sidepanels.

This is very true, then when it is run the heat causes the oil to more easly drip out, seen this personaly...before my removible sidepanels.
Yep. Unless you have done modifications, then usually when you pull drain plug on tank, it flows all over on that side. It's a big mess. Soaks into the sound insulation too. Often, they drip for days if not weeks. Stupid design.
Many/most of us have made improvements to eliminate the problem.
But as Jonlafon1 stated, best make very sure it's not either the chain case seal or the oil tank seal.
Can you tell if it's engine oil or chaincase oil?

#1 Small amount of oil from breather hose (ROV deleted). Mine does this over time...
#2 Residual oil from an oil change. I've had this happen...
#3 Oil tank seal is leaking. I've had this happen also...

Oil tank seal is leaking.

Yep. Unless you have done modifications, then usually when you pull drain plug on tank, it flows all over on that side. It's a big mess. Soaks into the sound insulation too. Often, they drip for days if not weeks. Stupid design.
But as Jonlafon1 stated, best make very sure it's not either the chain case seal or the oil tank seal.
Good point.. I went negative a bit soon! Could be exactly this also..

ALL good points, but I put my $$$$$ on oil tank.
It's happened to just about EVERYONE including me 3 times until I did the ''fixes'' myself

No mods.... 100% stock. I can't tell if engine, or chaincase oil for sure, at first I thought it was blowing out the exhaust hole, but it's further back.... No sign of any damage to the chain case or leaks. Might be as you said, oil that soaked into the sound insulation dripping out over the spring/summer, as it has been a hot one.... My only thought there was the oil change was done in December, and I ran it all winter, so heat from the engine should have warmed it up to drip out.... There are no oil stains on the floor of my trailer, or any other spots in my garage, this just presented itself last week, when I saw it. The sled hasn't moved since April.... Lots of people suggesting a blown seal, or bad R.O.V. (or one as a result of the other). I'll make sure my mechanic gives this a close look when I take it for it's full service in November

I had replaced my oil tank seal after my first year. Did a good job (or so i thought). Then 3 yrs later - like you - there was a small spot under the sled. Convinced it was the chaincase, i wiped everything down with brake clean and watched it. Only on the super hot days would it actually show evidence of a leak - and it was the oil tank (again)!

The oil tank on these sleds is meant to be a simple design, light etc, but is piss poor. Used Permatex Optimum Black the first time, and then used Peratex The Right Stuff, the second time. Time will tell. I honestly believe every 3-4 yrs just pull it off and reapply.

MS

It's a HORRIBLE design!
NO GASKET!
It can be fixed with "The Right Stuff" or equivalent & ROV elimination or one of the other possible ROV fixes.

SMITHSCO, do yourself a HUGE favor & do what SEVEY did.
Remove that "oil sponge fire starter pad", clean the BE-JESUS out of that area then put a piece a paper under there & monitor.

My money is still on a leaking oil tank.
ONE TINY DROP at 90° could be a quart at 220°

Like I said before, every single Winder that I've ridden or ridden with leaked at one point or another.
Not a big issue, but an issue that NEEDS to be addressed.

If yours is NOT leaking now............it WILL be

P.S: Don't trust the dealers, they do the same thing the factory does cuz that's how they are told to do it

My local Cat mechanic swears by The Right Stuff and claims he's never had one come back. Me? I'm going to the BOP gasket.

Back