• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil on the Floor

SqueezeER

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Winder Ltx LE
I've been noticing small oil spots on the floor the next morning after rides. Its definitely oil, but very faint. Its mixed with water so the puddle looks bad, but its very little oil. The drips are at the front, not underneath the filter, nor by the oil tank. Its coming from the front center of the sled, where the front arms meet in the middle. It has a plastic cover on, on top of a rubber gasket? Its a new sled, so any little drip I'm conscious of. There is too much snow and too little time to bring it in the dealer, but I'm just looking for an answer. Thanks guys.

Did you tip it over? Sounds like oil dripping out of air box. Could have been too much oil, tipped over, oil seperator froze. Take good off and dig in there. Will be obvious if comming from air box. Was in my case. Oil seperator froze. Clean with oil change now.

Did you tip it over? Sounds like oil dripping out of air box. Could have been too much oil, tipped over, oil seperator froze. Take good off and dig in there. Will be obvious if comming from air box. Was in my case. Oil seperator froze. Clean with oil change now.

I heard that it could be the air box. But there was suppose to be a fix for that, and the 18s shouldn't do it from what I'm told. I guess that's not the case.

I have a 2017 XTX and after playing in the powder this week I also noticed oil coming out of the air box when checking my belt condition. Not enough that it is dripping on the floor but noticeable when the left side panel was off. Is this something that I need to worry about?
This sled is new to me and I play in the deep stuff a lot. If I have to clean out my air box after every time out in the deep stuff because I put it on it's side a few times then it may be time to go back to a 2 stroke. I love this sled but I am not interested in having to work on it frequently due to it's short comings. I really hope there is no negative outcome to some oil blowing into the air box!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If you are carving to the left side, the oil will come up the breather to the oil tank into the air box. Pretty normal for a Yamaha 4 stroke as they all do it when tipped that way. Just keep checking the oil every ride and it should be fine.

If you are carving to the left side, the oil will come up the breather to the oil tank into the air box. Pretty normal for a Yamaha 4 stroke as they all do it when tipped that way. Just keep checking the oil every ride and it should be fine.
Thank you :)

Thank you :)
Is there a modification available that can eliminate this from happening?

I'm new here, been on A-chat for many years. Don't want to hijack the thread, but this is a similar issue. I own a '16 7000 Cat. Every time I ride it, the air box gets a lot of oil in it. This drips more oil than any Harley I've ever owned. Just bought a new updated seperator, same thing happens. Trail ridden, not tipped, oil level set about 1/4" above the add mark on the dipstick. It seems to go down to the add mark, whether it's a 150 or a 700 mile ride, it leaks the same amount. I was thinking of using the add mark as my starting point, but am a bit leery about that. I been riding with mostly Viper and Vector riders for years now, but they've not had this happen to them. There are few 7000 owners on A-chat, so I figured I'd try the Yamaha experts. Any ideas?

Is there a modification available that can eliminate this from happening?

not that i am aware of but letting it sit flat for 10 min after carving lets the oil drain back to the tank from the air box.

Seems common, mine does this after every weekend. A small amount of oil generally gets into my air box. I trail ride hard and never roll the sled. Oil seperator is is fine, still seems to get small amount of oil in airbox. After sitting in garage, I see the same spots. Even see some oil residue on outside of front nose cone area above arms where it's leaked out.

I check the oil level making sure it's good and continue to ride. 6,500 miles later, seems to be the norm for this sled

Seems common, mine does this after every weekend. A small amount of oil generally gets into my air box. I trail ride hard and never roll the sled. Oil seperator is is fine, still seems to get small amount of oil in airbox. After sitting in garage, I see the same spots. Even see some oil residue on outside of front nose cone area above arms where it's leaked out.

I check the oil level making sure it's good and continue to ride. 6,500 miles later, seems to be the norm for this sled
Thank for the info. Good to know it's normal at least.

Shouldn’t be normal but probably is (damn cats). I was just knocking all the ice out from both 16 vipers we have and noticed for the first time ever that both have oil on floor underneath them towards the front also. Oil is just below max full mark on both, nytro never did this

Ya its not enough oil to make me worry at all. But its still a bran new sled, which I love by the way, so its kinda annoying. Most posts are negatives on forums, so I wanted to add in that the sled is AMAZING! ha

Back