• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil pressure gauge

oil pressure gauge or temp gauge which one do you feel is more important on a 4-stroke

• oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • temp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rightarm

TY 4 Stroke Master
I would like to know how many RX1 owner's have installed an oil pressure gauge on there ride.And if not, why?.I myself will be installing the Autometer liquid filled gauge and was curious if anyone else has done the same.Thank-you :)

Rightarm:
keep us posted on your installation of the oil pressure gauge,
i.e. where you installed the gauge pickup etc.
Where did you purchase the gauge?
Are you planning on istalling a water temp gauge too?

Bjrb you can pick up these gauges at your local performance car shop in CANADA more than likely at performance improvements, in the U.S I'am not sure.Make sure if you buy to get the liquid filled one otherwise the non filled one will break can't take the pounding the liquid filled ones are used by the APBA in there offshore boat's and we all know those boats take quite the pounding.As far as location of the sensor you will more than likely have to drill and tap a hole in the back of motor in the lower cases no biggee, or just forget the whole idea and just use the warning light Yamaha provides,don't worry it work's just like the low fuel light come's on early.As far as mounting location don't know yet waiting for gauge. :D

Bluerx yes overheating is an issue on some rx's no problem's with mine,but I would rather overheat than lose oil pressure far more damage can be sustained if you lose pressure and don't no it until your connecting rod is sticking out the side of your case looking back at you,I would rather overheat and maybe lose or replace the piston than not no the oil is being lost and have to replace the whole engine ie:piston,rod,crank,cases if it blows through and it usually happen's at speed and if you don't have an accurate gauge to see the pressure drop,by the time the idiot light come's on it's too late.Just my experiance from racing motorcycle's,thank's for voting and your comment's.

oil psi gauge

i would not recomend an oil filled gauge in cold climets as i have tryed them in my job and found that when you start to use them the psi does not read needle just stays at 0 when the psi is at 100 lb (bending and twisting springs out of calabration)until the gauge warms up then it responds some would say thats all right but this fighting agianst the cold oil in the gauge runes the calabration of the gauge veary fast and renders it usles as a means of checking oil psi. i have tryed many differt typs oil psi gauges all with the same results. oil filled gauges do not work in cold climates. or not for long :(

oil gauges

Black John--good point about the oil pressure gauges

Have you tried the electrical oil pressure gauges with mechanical meter movement & if so what results did you have?

oil gauge

i have not put one on my sled just work exprence. but if i were to install one it whould be a 270 deg sweep with the good old fashion oil line running in to the back of it. this would be a problem if it was to be mounted on the hood ie lots of long oil lines to run. but i am not to woried about it i never had one on any of my bikes no problems there temp lite only came on once and that was after some long running time on the ice in the spring with no snow for cooling i will just stick with what i have now the lites seem to give lots of warning before it all locks up unlike the automotive manufacters do. for me i just want some thing thats simple and runs good. this sled is the best i have ever owed once the germlens were removed from the carbs and even with that it did seem to run well just not perform as well as i thout it should not a miss skip fart nothing that realy suprized me when i found all those gremlens in the carb,s i could not beleve that it ran that good with carbs in that condtion.

Back