• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Separator Maintenance

petey_sx700

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX DX
2017 Viper STX DX 146
2013 Vector
2018 SRX 120
Has anyone had the oil separator apart, cleaned it? Wondering if someone wants to post a picture tutorial?

Have 2500 trail miles on my stock LTX and no issues. Just wondering if stock guys are having issues or just the MPI guys with relocation issues? Was thinking maybe I would try to clean mine in the fall when I do my oil change? Is it a good idea to mess with it or leave it alone?

I haven't had a problem with it , but I I'm going to take mine off as well and look at it and clean if I have too !

petey_sx700 said:
Has anyone had the oil separator apart, cleaned it? Wondering if someone wants to post a picture tutorial?

Have 2500 trail miles on my stock LTX and no issues. Just wondering if stock guys are having issues or just the MPI guys with relocation issues? Was thinking maybe I would try to clean mine in the fall when I do my oil change? Is it a good idea to mess with it or leave it alone?

I don't think it's just MPI guys that are having the problem. I made a thread about this and stock Viper guys PM me on what to do. So it's a issue that everyone will have once you get higher miles. I think the stock location is behind the muffler. It's a black box with three hoses going to it. Two on top and one on the bottom. Clean it out real good and put it back together. Make sure you pay attention to where the hoses go.
I bet even if you weren't having any issue with I think you will find a little water in there.

I had around 3000+ miles when it happened to me. If anything it's a good thing to check. It's easy and then check chain as well.

YamahaTim said:
petey_sx700 said:

I don't think it's just MPI guys that are having the problem. I made a thread about this and stock Viper guys PM me on what to do. So it's a issue that everyone will have once you get higher miles. I think the stock location is behind the muffler. It's a black box with three hoses going to it. Two on top and one on the bottom. Clean it out real good and put it back together. Make sure you pay attention to where the hoses go.
I bet even if you weren't having any issue with I think you will find a little water in there.

I had around 3000+ miles when it happened to me. If anything it's a good thing to check. It's easy and then check chain as well.

Tim where you ride is it really wet? Like alot of moisture in the air? Out here its very dry and we don't seem to have those condensation issues as bad.

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
petey_sx700 said:

Tim where you ride is it really wet? Like alot of moisture in the air? Out here its very dry and we don't seem to have those condensation issues as bad.

I think it's kind of wet cold, but I have been in the powder a lot this year, and in and out of the heated garage with -20f temps I think it did build a lot of condensation. But just for piece of mind I'll check mine every once and a while. Cause it sucks a lot worse when your back packing 6 hours from home and your sled throws 2 quarts of oil out in 2 seconds...

Do you guys think it would help to coat the inside of the oil separator with some light oil like marvel mystery oil or something similar after you clean it? I haven't looked at mine yet so don't really know what it looks like.

sxr70001 said:
Do you guys think it would help to coat the inside of the oil separator with some light oil like marvel mystery oil or something similar after you clean it? I haven't looked at mine yet so don't really know what it looks like.

I wouldn't do that. Oil flow through there. I just cleaned it with good break cleaner like five times and drained it real good and let it dry. And I took it off again after around 1000 miles and it was good. So I think after a couple thousand miles I will check it again.

YamahaTim said:
sxr70001 said:

I wouldn't do that. Oil flow through there. I just cleaned it with good break cleaner like five times and drained it real good and let it dry. And I took it off again after around 1000 miles and it was good. So I think after a couple thousand miles I will check it again.

Tim could you put a K&N filter on the end of the hose to keep water out? We used them on our race cars back in the day to keep condensation/water out of the valve covers.

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
sxr70001 said:

Tim could you put a K&N filter on the end of the hose to keep water out? We used them on our race cars back in the day to keep condensation/water out of the valve covers.

I suppose I could. It had a filter in it before, but then had a tear in it, on purpose. So don't know why the filter was doing, with a rip in the hose. And the rip is how it's suppose to be according to my dealer.

YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
sxr70001 said:

I suppose I could. It had a filter in it before, but then had a tear in it, on purpose. So don't know why the filter was doing, with a rip in the hose. And the rip is how it's suppose to be according to my dealer.

Odd, was the rip in a way that water flowing down would go into it?

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
sxr70001 said:

Odd, was the rip in a way that water flowing down would go into it?

The oil separator is on the left side and above the belt guard inside the frame. And the tube runs from there across the motor and out by the chain case behind the turbo. I don't really know why there is a rip there, maybe I should check that out..lol..

Mine is tucked under my mpi breather which is under the intercooler.

Mpi moves it closer to the belt. I see no difference between the turbo relocation and stock.

I would just take the advice and clean it ever 2k miles or so.

How I look at it is, powder, following, snowing whatever it will build condensation no matter where you are from.

The reason for the slit in the hose is for crank case pressure, and just with the filter is not enough. With the slip it has plenty of blow by can go through

YamahaTim said:
The reason for the slit in the hose is for crank case pressure, and just with the filter is not enough. With the slip it has plenty of blow by can go through

In my opinion, bigger filter.

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:

In my opinion, bigger filter.

Well I don't think that's where the water(condensation) is coming from, but I will look into getting something that will allow enough air to get out without letting in moisture.

I will PM you the rest of the info on that...

Back