• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Strainer Cover leaking

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
Started tonight working on some maintenance over the summer to put new top gear in, change chain case oil, and engine oil. When I removed my muffler is saw a bit of moisture on a brace that didn't think should be wet looking. After further examination, I noticed a couple of spots on the bottom of the Oil Strainer cover that had oil drops as well as some oil around a few of the bolts securing the cover to the gasket, along with an area of the gasket that was wet as well.

Has anybody else experienced any oil leakage in this spot?

Oil Strainer Cover leak.png

cover.jpg

After further digging in up higher, I think the oil may not be leaking at the cover, rather someplace higher. I noticed the Heat Wrap on the rubber tube is pretty saturated on the inside and very wet. The heat wrap feels like wet paper. I can't see where that line goes, but maybe the leak is someplace further up that I can't see. Maybe a loose clamp???

Leak.jpg

Hose leak.png
I think it's definitely coming from the end of the hose. Problem is, it looks like a real bugger to get to. May have to remove the turbo to get to which looks like a ton of work. Maybe I should just take it in for a warranty repair and have them take care of it.

Who you going to take it to ? STILL trying to find a COMPETENT dealer/ shop in the northwoods. Myself, would do a road trip to Greenland Mi.

Check the banjo bolts on the oil lines to the turbo. On the turbo and on the engine. They have been found loose and leaking before.

Who you going to take it to ? STILL trying to find a COMPETENT dealer/ shop in the northwoods. Myself, would do a road trip to Greenland Mi.

My dealer is North Country Yamaha. Love my dealer as he does a great job and takes care of me.

After further digging in up higher, I think the oil may not be leaking at the cover, rather someplace higher. I noticed the Heat Wrap on the rubber tube is pretty saturated on the inside and very wet. The heat wrap feels like wet paper. I can't see where that line goes, but maybe the leak is someplace further up that I can't see. Maybe a loose clamp???

View attachment 155595
Did you get that oil leak fixed from the dealer or did you fix it yourself? I noiced mine leaking in the same spot and was wondering what it was

I have my skid out getting my shocks rebuilt. Once I get them back and get the skid back in I will take my sled into the dealer as it looks like a pain to get to that hose clamp.

I have my skid out getting my shocks rebuilt. Once I get them back and get the skid back in I will take my sled into the dealer as it looks like a pain to get to that hose clamp.
Did you bypass your roll over valve? Could the valve freezing cause this? Looks like the turbo has to come off think i'll bring it in

Last edited:
Did you bypass your roll over valve? Could the valve freezing cause this? Looks like the turbo has to come off think i'll bring it in

I did not bypass the rollover valve. Still have all OEM parts for that. Not sure if the valve freezing could cause this or not. Definitely looks like turbo has to come off to get to that clamp so big reason for taking it into the dealer. Looks to be too big of a job just to get to a hose clamp!

I did not bypass the rollover valve. Still have all OEM parts for that. Not sure if the valve freezing could cause this or not. Definitely looks like turbo has to come off to get to that clamp so big reason for taking it into the dealer. Looks to be too big of a job just to get to a hose clamp!
Bringing mine to the dealer next week, investigated again yesterday and there' antifreeze in a pocket on the engine directly below the oil line that i thought was leaking the one you have circled and it doesn't look like that line is the leaking maybe the plunger going to the turbo its so hard to tell at 1st i thought that liquid was oil but when i swabbed it was antifreeze so now its leaking oil and antifreeze looks like oil was spraying all over the frame and muffler front lower right can't tell where its comming from

If you take the intake off and the charge tube going from turbo to intercooler you can probably get those clamps.
Just a thought

View attachment 155873

Thanks @yamamarc. How much effort is that to take the intake off and the charge tube? If not much, I might look at getting in there myself. If too much, it'll go to the dealer.

Thanks @yamamarc. How much effort is that to take the intake off and the charge tube? If not much, I might look at getting in there myself. If too much, it'll go to the dealer.
It's pretty easy. Start by just removing the charge tube going from the turbo to the intercooler. You may be able to get to the clamp you are trying to get at!! Just loosen both gear clamps and pull out the charge tube. If needed pull the intake fairly simple to remove also

It's pretty easy. Start by just removing the charge tube going from the turbo to the intercooler. You may be able to get to the clamp you are trying to get at!! Just loosen both gear clamps and pull out the charge tube. If needed pull the intake fairly simple to remove also

Thanks Yamamarc!

Back