• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Tank Update - From 2014 to 2015+

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Yamaha Sidewinder X-TX LE 141
Going to be changing out the oil tank this year while doing a track swap (thanks to all of you who commented. It definitely made the process seem much less daunting). Would like to know if there is a list of parts Yamaha released with the 2015+ oil tank update bulletin? The Yamaha Parts website isn't as clear to me as I wish it would be. Thanks!

Never saw list. I do know gasket is changed too. I have a whole setup sitting here waiting for day I need it but never have. Still all original 14 and I have had it apart countless times. I would just look it over good and reuse the original. The trick is to be gentle with it. Make sure its seated fully before final tightening. Also dont remove the seal. Just make sure its clean and I use some dielectric grease on the seal. If you manhandle the cover even the new with bigger tabs they will crack also. I see no advantage to the newer one.

Was in the Dealer last week . Had him look up the 2018 Dip stick and cost . About 12 bucks. Funny We looked up the oil cap for my 2015 LTX and they are superseding the dip stick cap part number as the replacement ...... sooo , just a little info to add . Ordered the dip stick . Did not order the new tank .

I have a 14 also and hate the site glass. However, somewhere on a previous thread I swear I read the new dipstick would not give an accurate reading on the old style (14) oil tanks. Are you saying all I have to do is order the 18 dipstick? I hope so b/c that would make life easier.

I have a 14 also and hate the site glass. However, somewhere on a previous thread I swear I read the new dipstick would not give an accurate reading on the old style (14) oil tanks. Are you saying all I have to do is order the 18 dipstick? I hope so b/c that would make life easier.
I think you are right. Capacity and different baffle in 15 tanks. That said if a guy had oil level right in sight glass could just stick the dipstick in and mark a correct mark on stick.

As @cannondale27 said the oil capacities are different and the newer tanks contains a baffle that help keep the extra oil toward the bottom 1/2 of the tank where its needed when the sleds on edge or in steeper terrain. This helps keep the oil light off when in the hills , its a big improvement over the earlier tanks without the baffle. I posted a picture few weeks back of the old style tank with the new dipstick added here:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/oil-levels.153055/#post-1427748

I think you are right. Capacity and different baffle in 15 tanks. That said if a guy had oil level right in sight glass could just stick the dipstick in and mark a correct mark on stick.
Yes, pretty easy to get level perfect on site glass then mark that level on dipstick. For less than $20 I think it is worth it.

Back