• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil tank

YamiRage07

Veteran
I had just baught an oil tank off from an rx1 im thinking from a 2004 or 2005 and was wondering if that would work for a 2007 rage.? And when I take the oil tank off the rage does that completely drain the oil out of the motor? Thanks for any answers

David

i'm 99.99% sure that tank will work on the rage. technically pulling the tank does not drain all the oil as there will still be some in the sump and filter. it does however drain most of the oil from the system. off the top of my head i don't remember how much the tank holds i'm thinking about 2 1/2 to 3 qts. i assume you're swapping tanks because it's cracked. i would swap them out then put at least two qts back in the tank, run it for about 30 seconds then check the level and fill as necessary. if you are replacing it because it's cracked you might want to look into some modifications to keep it from happening again. on my brothers sled we enlarged the lower front hole with a unibit and put a rubber grommet in. we didn't crank down on the nut very much so as not to crush the grommet so it would have some give. we used loctite as the nut didn't get to the locking portion.

thanks thats good i got a good deal on the tank was only 75$ so i was hoping it was gonna work it looks exactlly like the one i pulled off. and ya my tank cracked and was leaking. and when filling the oil back up would it be fine to just fill the tank up from the dip stick hole? and thanks for the tips on how to stop the tank from cracking going riding this weekend so when i get back ill start working on something to stop it from cracking again.

yes you want to fill it from the dipstick hole. i don't exactly recall what the factory instructions are but personally this is the only place i would fill the system. these are dry sump systems which means unlike your car they have multiple (three in this case) oil pumps. a car is a wet sump which means all the oil is in the pan and the single pump oil pickup is submerged in the oil. with these sleds there are two pumps called scavenge pumps that pump the oil from the bottom of the engine into the tank. then the pressure pump sucks oil from the bottom of the tank and feeds the engine. if for arguments sake there was no oil in the system at all and you put the oil in the valve cover then there wouldn't be any oil in the tank for the pressure pump to feed the engine. when you started it first the scavenge pumps would have to pump it out of the engine into the tank before the pressure pump would have any oil to pump.

if you're going to enlarge the mounting hole be careful not to go to far.

The 120 motor calls for 3 quarts for an oil change only and 3.2 quarts for oil change with filter change. When I changed mine I added 2 quarts to the tank and I dumped the other quart down the hole in top of the engine.

RSVECTORFREAK said:
The 120 motor calls for 3 quarts for an oil change only and 3.2 quarts for oil change with filter change. When I changed mine I added 2 quarts to the tank and I dumped the other quart down the hole in top of the engine.

Added all mine into the tank, I believe that is what the instructions said as well?

The info I remember reading was, the valve cover hole is for venting purposes only, not to add oil in there.

just got the tank installed and got it all hooked up and oil put in it then went to go screw the dip stick in and cant get it to screw in. Do i need to have the rx1 dip stick or should the dip stick from the rage oil tank fit into the oil tank?

Back