• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil ?

vagrizz

You know, the owners manual says. not to use energy saving motor oil, because the additives may cause slippage in the clutch packs. I have a 2002 grizzly. And, I have searched high and low, and I cannot find an internal clutch pack anywhere. So, what is the deal? Len :ORC

oil

LaLaLa it might be me but that sounds like the univesal owners manual talkin. if its an auto go ahead shouldnt hurt anything. that section is probably for the kodiac professinal and any other standard bikes that they make (i like the big 4x4 bikes). ;)! maybe someone else has some thoughts on this? :ORC

They're actually talking about the "starter clutch" and it is in fact a universal warning across the board with many Yamaha machines.

Many, many folks have run energy saving oils in their machines with no troubles.

they are talking about the wet clutch.i use amsoil.it does not have the friction modifiers in it to cause wet clutch slippage. ;)!

Manual tranny

I was looking at oil the other day and noticed that too.
I think you would be OK running any kind of oil as long as you have a CVT tranny.
I believe Yamaha tries to make one oil for all of their 4-stroke engines. They dont want to to use "energy conserving" oil because of the fact that if you have a manual tranny, the engine and the clutch share the same oil.
If you were to use oil that was labeled, "energy conserving" it would make your clutch slip like crazy.
Personally, I always have and always will use Yamalube in all of my Yamahas. Have used it in my Phazer and it works great. Almost no smoke and doesnt smell anywhere near as bad as the Gold synthetic I used in my Polaris.
When I get my 350 Raptor in April, I plan on using Yamalube in that too. 20w-50 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter.
You gotta figure, Yamaha's engines were designed and tested with that oil in them, cant go wrong with that...
Hebi

Grizzlys have a wet clutch it is right behind the primary sheave if you look at the service manual on page 4-60 under clutch you will see the wet clutch the energy conserving oil will make it slip. :Rockon:

I have used Klotz 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil in my 1986 Yamaha FJ1200 for 10 years, and I use the same oil in my 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 year round. Synthetics are the only way to go, especially in the winter. I would not use anything else.

The Rattler

Ok, I don't want to sound like a oil challenged idiot here, but if the shoe fits I'll wear it.

After reading the owners manual for my Bruin, it says no CD oils or ENERGY CONSERVING II or higher. After looking at the oils on the shelf at the local Wal Mart, the oils just say ENERGY CONSERVING, no mention of level (ie I, or II) it kind of makes me go :o| Would just regular Penzoil or Quaker State that say "Energy Conserving" be ok? I don't want to screw up my clutch.

I also see that Valvolene has a ATV oil that is rated 10w40. Of course the owners manual says 20W40 or 10W30, no 10W40. I would think that this oil would be ok to use because I believe the first numbers are the cold weather rating ?? It would be nice if it was ok to use because I know this oil is ok for wet clutches.

The reason I ask this, is the Yamaha dealer is over 30 miles away, which makes it somewhat inconvenient to run out and get oil to do a oil change.

While I'm showing my complete lack of oil knowledge for ATV's, the manual says 80 weight oil for the differentials. Would the Lucas 80/90 be a good choice for the front and rear differentials?

By the way, great board!

I run Maxima Racing oil in mine, (synthtic) and use there synthtic differntial oil. I love its awesome!

As far as actual motor oil that is designed for car and trucks I wouldn't use it unless its the only thing you can get you hands on. I would run Yamalube before I ran automotive oil. The additives are not right for our machines. I'm not saying it would hert but its not the best!

When i sank my Grizz I went and used car oil to get the water out, but thats because it is way cheaper and I never ran it with the spark plug in. I just used it as a tool to get the water out, turned the engine over with no oil filter and let the oil dump out and just watch the water come out with it. Works great took about 7 quarts of oil.

If your looking to save money on oil, just buy yamalube, or honda oil, dont use car oil!

I to have heard guys use it, with no probs. But I wonder how long will it be before they do! :)

Good luck in what you choose.

yes the 1st # in a multi-grade oil is its thinnest viscosity. use the 10w40 year round. it will be fine. as for the gear lube 80w90 is ok to use. in my uncles im usin 85-140 gaer lube (1992 big bear) in both diffs. dont hear as much gear noise as more oil stays on gear surfaces when you are letting it coast in gear down the hills.

Hey iowagrizz its nice to see another fellow Maxima oil user, thought I was the only one for awhile there..lol. Anyway that too is the oil I use just not the synthetic one. Have been using just their regular 10w40 but have been thinkging of switching. Can I ask where do you buy yours? Local or mail?

I get my locally! We here in Le Mars, Iowa are lucky to have a place called "Lithium Motorsports" Its a privately owned business that caters to all types of vehicle sports. Its a full shop with on site maintenance, stocked parts, riding gear, etc. The owner is a big open track racer with crouch rockets, and services street and off road bikes, atvs, and Sleds durning the winter.

Its a great place, I get all my parts from there, and he gives deals to loyal customers!

He's the one that interduced me to Maxima, they use it in there race bikes!

Sure wish I could get it locally but I usally order it from Rocky Mountain. I guess the first time I got intruduced to it was Loran from Duncan Racing recomened to me after they did my Banshee engine, that was about 7 years ago and have been using it in everything since. :Rockon:

yea i've never seen this oil before going into Lithium's. I've always used Amsoil but since I moved to the other side of the state its not worth getting it from my buddy anymore. So I had to find another alternative! I'm very happy with it! Its worth the money!

You have to use oil made for wet clutches or it will slip and cause heat and wear the wet clutch out premature......

Back