• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Old Linkage -vs- Updated linkage pics

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Update part # 90891-50149-00

Well I really am impressed by Yamahas efforts.This has got to work.Way beefier than before.Now I am no Engineer so if someone would like to make suggestions on measurement to check for geometry changes now is the time.

Old Linkage-Some of you may remember I cracked link last year.Pic shows where it was welded.Also welded and surfaced outside of the bushing there.It has held to this day.As for the shaft which two idlers and pivot are on.Bent that once again after straightening it about three rides ago.This leads me to believe that that center shock must be bottoming but I dont ever feel it.We may have to resort to higher spring preloads on that center shock even though cornering suffers.I just do not EVER remember hitting anything bad enough to cause that shaft to bend once again.Everything on that shaft is changed so hope updated one holds.Also note that grease fittings are welded all the way around.Am a little concerned about steel on steel of lower arm shaft.Bushings are eliminated with new setup.I need to look closer but arm looks like a crack was developing on one side lower.Timing of this coming in couldnt be better since snow is melted but more on way.Cant wait to ride again.
:jump:

Attachments

• New Linkage 003.jpg
    New Linkage 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 588
  • New Linkage 002.jpg
    New Linkage 002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 586
  • New Linkage 001.jpg
    New Linkage 001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 634
  • New Linkage 004.jpg
    New Linkage 004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 745
  • New Linkage 005.jpg
    New Linkage 005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 582
  • New Linkage 006.jpg
    New Linkage 006.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 593
  • New Linkage 008.jpg
    New Linkage 008.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 628

do you think this new link covered under yamaha, do you think they'll be a recall, there's a alot of failures out there of the old link

I just checked my link last night...sure enough it had a crack that was starting to split. Called the dealer and they have the update kit on order for me, and its being covered under warranty.

good to hear, my hasn't broke yet, it's in the shop getting the cold start and steering updates, i'm going to see if they can do the link update

Can someone show me a pic of where this link fails ? Also, where is it located in the rear suspension ? Much appreciated !

It is located in middle of skid toward front.Both shocks are attached to the assembly.

Attachments

• Old Linkage.jpg
    Old Linkage.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 642
This is where mine failed. Caught it just in time!

Attachments

• link2.jpg
    link2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 625
i have broken my suspension 6 times already even with this update done on it. it lasted longer but it still broke for me.

cannondale27 said:
This leads me to believe that that center shock must be bottoming but I dont ever feel it.We may have to resort to higher spring preloads on that center shock even though cornering suffers.I just do not EVER remember hitting anything bad enough to cause that shaft to bend once again.Everything on that shaft is changed so hope updated one holds.
:jump:

I run lots of front spring preload, that is why I had to shorten the limiter strap. That way I had decent stability, and no front arm bottoming. But I also broke 3 times. So I'm fairly confident bottoming is not the cause. IMO.

Okay then too me it looks like 2 other possibilities.

1-The force of the rear shock against this link is enough to bend the shaft and break the linkage.

2-The force of a impact on wheels bends shaft and causes a geometry change.Which breaks the link.Could be worn Hyfax contributes.My opinion the shaft bends then wears Hyfax.

Question for those of you who CLAIM to have broken updated or 08 parts.
Did the link break?Where is the pics?We cant figure anything out if we all cant see it and I dont want to worry needlessly if it isnt the updated parts.

Has anyone else taken a good look at the FX Nytro setup?I would bet a bunch that it was originally designed to use a link like ours.Instead they captured the link so it doesnt move and mounted center shock to it.Those parts look like they may be adaptable to ours.Looks chinsy though too me and is a round about copy of what Hygear did.I am running the updated setup with Brand new wheels and Hyfax.Shouldnt take long to find out since winter just got going good.

Hbishman mine broke exactly where yours did but not quite as bad.Welding did last.Also welded front of that sleeve to bottom of the link.

Attachments

• t_link2_868.jpg
    t_link2_868.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 554

Back