• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Opinions needed from experienced nytro gurus. Hit a deer…

jgustman

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'10 Nytro RTX
Hit a deer yesterday, doing about 75, I was somehow lucky to walk away unharmed, but the sled didn’t fare as well. It seems the deer some how hit low from left to right and the sled went right, I kept tumbling down the trail and the sled went right and just missed a tree and took a branch off And ended up down in a slew area. It ripped the right spindle apart, left is broke as well, both lower arms sheared the rear mont bolts off from what I can tell, left shock shaft is bent, and from looking at the bottom, I would guess the subframe is done, possibly tweaked to the right some, despite the gusset kit., windshield, hand guards, front bumper dented, and kill switch gone as well. Do I attempt to replace parts or consider parting it out? It is a 2013 xtx 1.75 with about 2,000 miles, Ulmer Racing installed MPI low elevation supercharger, Trail tank, Curve skis, Ulmer clutch kit, Hindle slip on exhaust, copper doughnuts, and Koso x2 guage.. It looks like a probable complete rebuild of the front suspension and I am concerned the frame could be tweaked. I am looking for advice on what to look for in the frame and rebuild, or assume it’s best to part it out. Cost to rebuild vs part out and move on is the big question. I am considering going a different direction either way, I lit just rebuilt the right front from hitting an unmarked manhole on the center of the trail/ditch a few hundred miles ago and have only put about 1,000 miles on it, so it has been nothing but bad luck with this sled…
082EC155-6332-452B-99E3-A9FDCE5785D5.jpeg
0E0CAD0B-E7D0-4695-82BF-DC562934F425.jpeg
9FCD11FE-FC95-4347-BC6B-85997F6E63D9.jpeg
CCFA5706-1A9A-4891-820E-5FFF23C0A9B2.jpeg
BA4344A6-3F03-451A-9B17-EAACB35A7D1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Might be best to buy a cheaper Nytro, and transfer your good parts onto it. Then you can part out the decent leftovers.

Wow. Just thank whoever that you came out of that unscathed.

I once bought and rebuilt a crashed Phazer but had nowhere as much destruction. Bent spindle, A-arms and subframe on one side. Oddly enough, it had the wrong spindle on the other side from a Nytro so it wasn't its first rodeo. Can it be done, sure. I was lucky that I found a whole parts sled for fairly cheap with a blown motor. You will have to source basically the whole front end and whatever plastics or find a good roller with a blown motor, and, like @Kurt J mentioned, swap parts over and sell the leftovers. Or a whole good running sled to do the swapping and sell the rest. The motor alone would fetch a good amount.

Another thing is the tunnel might have been tweaked too. At that speed, a lot of stuff becomes malleable.

Wasn't it insured? If it was, may be time to collect. Ask how much to buy it back so you can fix it up.

Someone from Above was definitely watching over me on this one… I am about to tear the front end down, see what else I find. My buddy who was behind me said all he could see was my tail light go sideways and nothing but powder then the headlights shining straight up, once the snow dust settled, he said I was laying on the trail in a ball, which I did intentionally since I could feel my arms and legs wanting to fly out while rolling in hopes of preventing injury, and it apparently worked. The sled didn’t appear to roll but don’t know how it couldn’t have. No insurance, so totaling it isn’t an option.

Just pulled the subframe and everything looks fairly straight except the reinforced rear holes are oblonged again, and sheared the bolts off. It busted both spindles, warped both lower a-arms and the right upper. Left shock shaft is bent. The tunnel on the left is slightly bowed in 1/8” at the rear suspension mount bolts and the left footwell outer rail is bowed down about 1/2“ half way between the front footwell edge and the factory bend up at the rear.. the left toe hold is slightly pushed back compared to the right if I put a square against them and the tunnel. I have spun the track by hand and it appears to still run straight. Question, part it out, or buy all the parts and rebuild? I am considering going to a lighter better handling sled at this point anyway, About $1,800 to replace all parts with new OEM. I don’t think I will recoup the parts cost and selling as a whole sled vs a part out..

I also think you should part it out. Sounds like the tunnel got tweaked.

Part it out. Count your blessings you are not hurt and move on.

The subframe could not absorb that much energy and move that far without bending. And you very likely tweaked the tunnel. Part it out. Glad the sled is dead and not you,

Last edited:

Back