• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ovation Question.

SledFreak

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Current 2020 ThunderCat. - SOLD!
When was the last year for the Ovation and what was the best year with the least amount of issues? What size were the motors? 340? I'm looking for a good free air machine to bomb my kids around on..

Thanks..

They started making them in the 1980's. They were really a revised version of the old Enticer 340's. We had two of them back in 1989. They were rock solid runners, great for kids or novice riders.

get one. you will not regret it. the only thing that was funky on them was the carb. i own a et410tr whitch is its bigger brother with the same 1/2 barrel carb that i can never get info on. other than that tottaly bulletproof. i have had mine for 10 years and it finally needed the skid bearings changed.

cwcsrx700 said:
Yep they are a 340. But fan cooled not free air. Last year was prolly '97 I think. Nothing really changed on them so all years are prolly pretty good.

That's right.. I meant to say fan, not free air... Thanks..

I have a 1990 and have had no issues what so ever, great sled for the kids and with the electric start means, Even when I'm gone the wife can start it right up for the little guy.

We have a '95 that has been in the family since it was new. Still has the original sliders! No issues it just runs. IMO the best feature is how they direct the warm air from the engine out through a vent in the dash. It blows right at you. Would kinda like that on the Apex!!

Only thing I don't like about them is the odd 109" track, try to find one if yours goes bad. I've looked at a few lately but all of them had weather checking on the tracks. they have been going for 500-1000$ on the local Craigslist in my area, I looked at a clean 94' for 800$ the other day with only 1900 miles on it. My sister had one 10+ years ago the thing was dang quick for a 340, it would run side by side with my Phazer II up to 50mph and it had about a 60-65mph top speed. On a Side note, a Phazer II with electric start is less than 30# heavier than an Ovation and alot easier to find along with having the standard 121" track.

Good to know... I did not know that... I guess something to consider.

blueironranger said:
Only thing I don't like about them is the odd 109" track, try to find one if yours goes bad. I've looked at a few lately but all of them had weather checking on the tracks. they have been going for 500-1000$ on the local Craigslist in my area, I looked at a clean 94' for 800$ the other day with only 1900 miles on it. My sister had one 10+ years ago the thing was dang quick for a 340, it would run side by side with my Phazer II up to 50mph and it had about a 60-65mph top speed. On a Side note, a Phazer II with electric start is less than 30# heavier than an Ovation and alot easier to find along with having the standard 121" track.

Yeh, those things were quick in short and tight spaces. When we used to ride in the tight twisties in northern MN by Bigfork my wife (girlfriend at the time) used to ride ours. Being she is petite and the sled was so small it worked great for her. I remember jumping back on my Exciter 570 L/C and it made that thing feel heavy. Just think, the sleds have been getting heavier all along. LOL!! Of course they are much faster and have way better suspensions today.

My first sled was an ovation LE. It was the first year they came out. I think it was 89. IT was the funky blue color. There was one for sale in the classified on TY. It was a fun sled to ride, easy to start and had no issues with it. Typical Yamaha

My father in law just sold his 90 ovation le for $550 CDN!
Damn thing is mint!
He only drove it to the end of his driveway to check the mail.
I told him I would list it here and split the difference over $600. Then he called me back and the first guy to come by his house got it for $550.
They are a great biginner sled or fishermans sled.
Cheers,
Rick.

Back