• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overheat and engine light

mikechm3

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha STX-DX
Went ice fishing 2 up (2015 SDXDX) this weekend and towing fishing gear on the lake in +3C outdoor temp. I was pretty much asking for it but anyway, I had ski mounted ice scratchers down and when I stopped to set up fishing the fan stayed on for like 5 minutes and the engine oil light was on. I went to restart just to make sure I was going get home and nothing...just cranked. I let her cool down for an hour and it still just cranked with the oil light on. No codes just the light. I eventually got the tools out, removed the 2 up seat and disconnected the battery, it started with hesitation and I got it back to the trailer. I probably should have rode out there a little quicker to keep the temp down. I just ordered Dupont slides so hopefully they help out a little.

Is there any way to clear the light without disconnecting the battery? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation and what did you do to help cool/prevent overheat when loading up the sled.

Thanks.

The oil light is a major concern. Overheating will not cause the oil light to come one. These machines will shut down if too hot or no oil. Do you have adequate oil in the engine?

The only for sure way, to control coolant temperature, and lube the hyfax, is wire scratchers on the skid rails.
Cable type just don't have the down force that wire type have. If not being able to back up is a deal breaker, then you'll have to deal with higher coolant temperatures.
No having to "grab snow" with wire scratchers. Put them down and ride.

I've road many miles on glare ice, hard packed plowed ice roads, ice trails, etc, and have not seen more than 177 -185f degree coolant temperatures with wire scratchers. Friends with cable type are bouncing off the coolant fan.

Duponts are great, but still need lube. They do nothing to assist with coolant temperature control.

That's weird, I changed the oil at the end of last season, and no noticeable leaks underneath and sight glass is full. My coolant temp was over 200F when I checked it after stopping. I was on glare ice and the SLP cable type were barely leaving a mark on the ice and I have them pointed down fairly aggressively. Maybe ill give the wire type a try. As for the oil light that's confusing. Pretty embarrassing...guys on 20 year old sleds whizzing by riding 2 up and hauling the same gear.

Just throwing this out there, but didn't the 2015's have a dip stick for the oil tank not a sight glass, unless early build 15?

Maybe the oil light and high temps were coincidence, from reading some other posts it sounds like the random oil light has been pretty common in the early miles on these sleds and then it just goes away? Who knows, that's a huge disappointment when you are stuck in the middle of a lake. I wonder if my dealer would trade me back my 98 vmax straight up, probably not lol...

I have overheated mine 2 or 3 times. I will have to look but I believe it is the oil light that comes on when overheating. Its red and flashes first making engine stutter like rev limiter of cold start mode then goes on steady and will kill the engine. Its the same red light that flashes when you first start sled in morning and its cold. Mike you may have made the sled overheat by putting scratchers down. Everytime mine has overheated I was on smooth loose trail and very cold temps -15f or less. The snow turns into mush and packs up right on tunnel front heat exchanger tight. One big bump knocks it out and temp instantly falls. All times it has done this the radiator screen factory puts on was completely frozen over with Ice. Taking finger and breaking that ice off also will cool the sled down quickly but not as fast as the exchanger being cleared. I believe you can run with either radiator or exchanger working but if one is compromised then other must be working 100% to avoid issue. Now that I know about the ice issue on rad and build up on echanger its easy to avoid any issues by either stopping and picking the ice off or finding a jump or something to knock the slush formed on heat exchanger off. Actually happened to me New Years weekend after having to pass some Mountain Sled Wannabees who wouldnt stop at stop signs and were going way to slow for the nice trails we were on. One of them refused to let me by and after 2nd stop sign he blew through it was game on. Needless to say my radiator got iced over when I stuffed a ski darn near up his butt. Still passed him but short time later I did get overheated. Made sure I was way ahead when I pulled over to clean it out so they didnt see me. FUN!

Hey that's definitely a possibility. My rad could have been iced over from the night before, I didn't check that heading out. I'm pretty sure the temp light is on the left and oil light on the right. The temp light was off during all this cause I was parked, not running and hot as hell, oil light was on constant when powered up but not running. Once the sled sat and cooled for a while the coolant temp dropped below 60F the temp light began to flash when powering up the gages, oil light still on constant. That's when I disco'd the battery and oil light cleared, engine started and I got the hell outa there..

Hey that's definitely a possibility. My rad could have been iced over from the night before, I didn't check that heading out. I'm pretty sure the temp light is on the left and oil light on the right. The temp light was off during all this cause I was parked, not running and hot as hell, oil light was on constant when powered up but not running. Once the sled sat and cooled for a while the coolant temp dropped below 60F the temp light began to flash when powering up the gages, oil light still on constant. That's when I disco'd the battery and oil light cleared, engine started and I got the hell outa there..
I may be confused by the lights I will check after work. All I know for sure is it’s red and gets your attention!

Thanks for the layout! I appreciate all the insight, I have a feeling that if I take it to the dealer they'll just say its fine.

Back