• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oxygen Helmet Review

Apexpat

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Apex
I had a chance to ride 3 days with my new Oxygen helmet in various conditions. Day 1 low 20’s clear skies. Clear all day no fogging. Day 2 was bad conditions in the morning. 31 degrees overcast and sleet. My shield was wet, but no ice formed which made me happy. I did notice that my sled windshield had ice buildup that was accumulating quickly. I also was riding solo so didn’t have another rider with a non electric shield to compare with. Ice never formed on the shield and no fogging the entire day.

Day 3 was upper 20’s and clear skies. Again no fogging. Aside from day 2 it wasn’t the best conditions to assess for fogging. A day near zero with clear skies at night will tell the story. Occasionally those were the days my Bv2s would fog. Other things I liked about the helmet was comfort and visibility. Felt light weight and wide clear field of vision. I also like the noise reduction pads. I ride a Yamaha Apex so the exhaust at low speeds can get annoying at times. The ear cups really helped to cut down the noise. I didn’t find the cord to cumbersome to deal with. I ran it through the collar loop and down the inside of my jacket. Then secured to the clip on the bottom left side of my Klim jacket. The magnet on the back was extremely secure. I also wore my Klim balaclava under the helmet. As far as warmth I didn’t find it as warm as my Bv2s, but not near as cold as my original modular. I put it in between the 2 other helmets as far as warmth. Now I’m not saying lots of wind leaks through. I could feel a bit of cold air inside the helmet the helmet at high speeds. Just didn’t feel as warm as my Bv2s. For those who say they’re not going to wear a balaclava I wouldn’t be able to do that. I’m certain my head would have been cold without it.

Also used the sun shield the first day. Worked great no fogging issues including at stops. My modular and Bv2s sun shield would fog when stopping at an intersection then clear when I took off.

Overall I’m happy with the helmet. The biggest advantage I liked was not having that mask squished against your face like the other modular helmets. So much more comfortable and no moisture around your mouth.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for your review. I just received mine today and was pondering whether the helmet was worth the cost. I was using a Kimpex Trans 1.5 and it is a POS to say the least.

Thanks for your review. I just received mine today and was pondering whether the helmet was worth the cost. I was using a Kimpex Trans 1.5 and it is a POS to say the least.

So far so good. I have read on doo talk where a few guys have had fogging between the layers of plastic and are trying to get a new shield. That would be bad. I had this issue with my Bv2s. I ended it removing and replacing with a non electric shield and all good. Of course this isn’t an option with this helmet. All or nothing. Fingers crossed.

I was riding in very cold conditions and the helmet performed perfectly. The chin light is great. At -25f I had noticed some ice forming around the edge of the face shield, on the seal and on the bottom but never inside. I opened the vents and it did seem to help but any moisture at those temps would freeze as it exits the helmet. Overall well worth the money, helmet never fogged on the 6 day bagger trip and the temps never got above 0 degrees F. Two other people with BVS2 had there cords get so brittle with the cold that they broke.

I have a friend with one of these and he said it's the best he has ever had. He likes the improved visibility. I may try one next year.

Contacts just don't give me the same vision as glasses and the can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes

In the market for a new helmet. This one seems to be the bomb IMO offering a ton of creature comfort and features that I would appreciate. Also researching the new CKX mission helmet which is new for this winter 2019. Any have any more experience on the oxygen helmet to report?

I just picked a oxygen helmet today! The wife gave me the green light at a 20% off price! Hopefully it’s everything they say because I’m keeping this a long time.

I also bought one this weekend
It better be awesome for that price
Already put some Yamaha stickers on it!
I also just purchased one at the Toronto show. I tried on the Mission but it did not feel right to me. I'm sure some will love it, but the Oxygen felt really good.

How was the field of view in each? Was one better than the other or did oxygen just seem to fit you better?

How was the field of view in each? Was one better than the other or did oxygen just seem to fit you better?
It is difficult to answer that with any accuracy as I only had the Mission on for a short time and both of them had the plastic on the shield for protection. I did not care for the mouth guard on the Mission either, but I do not want to knock it, lots will like it. Funny though, I have had CKX for years and always use and XL even though a measurement of my head would indicate a Large. I tried the XL on the Oxygen and it felt good, but a few hours later when I bought it something was nagging me to try the L. It was slightly more difficult to get on but it felt really good, almost perfect.

Forced to guess I would say the Oxygen view was better but I thing the Mission will be good as well.

I am not a Doo fan even though I ride with a bunch of them so it was quite a move for me to buy the Oxygen as I fully expect to take a beating from the guys. :)

It is difficult to answer that with any accuracy as I only had the Mission on for a short time and both of them had the plastic on the shield for protection. I did not care for the mouth guard on the Mission either, but I do not want to knock it, lots will like it. Funny though, I have had CKX for years and always use and XL even though a measurement of my head would indicate a Large. I tried the XL on the Oxygen and it felt good, but a few hours later when I bought it something was nagging me to try the L. It was slightly more difficult to get on but it felt really good, almost perfect.

Forced to guess I would say the Oxygen view was better but I thing the Mission will be good as well.

I am not a Doo fan even though I ride with a bunch of them so it was quite a move for me to buy the Oxygen as I fully expect to take a beating from the guys. :)
Received it today, an excellent quality helmet, with great vision. I am confident I bought the right one for me.

Today I tried on both the CKX Mission and BRP Oxygen helmet at the snow show in Novi. I was very impressed with the fit and features of the Oxygen helmet. I too really like not having a breath box up against my face. Helmet felt very roomy between my face and the shield. Really noticed the sound muffling features of the ear pieces.

I like the CKX Mission as well. I like the more open feeling like a modular helmet you get when the visor is up but didn’t care for the rubber breath mask. Also, their XL was loose on me and a large was tight. Dealer said it was still a prototype and the final XL would be tighter. I like the looks of the Mission as well as weight at 3.5 lbs vs 3.95 of the Oxygen.

Didn’t buy yet but leaning toward the Oxygen.

Back