• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Parking Brake Left On

LuvMyWarrior

Extreme
Hi Guys,

Just got back from Hurley - rode this weekend. Very cold - high on sat was 5 below. Trip went awesome - no problems. I pulled a bone head move when unloading on trailer - forgot the parking break was on. I didnt smell anything but felt like an idiot. Do you think I did anything besides damaging the belt? The motor only has 200 miles on it and had been runing for about 4 minutes. I dont like that I put strain on a brand new motor. :o| Any thoughts? Nothing I can do but really torqued me!

Thanks!

do a quick check of the belt for damage but if you dident smell it its probably ok. as for the motor, just dont tell it, and it wont know. if you dont notice the e-brake handle across the left bar, paint the underside of it yellow so that your mind screams 'wrong' and you release it.

Did it myself the other day and I have less miles than you. I doubt any damage is done. I suspect the motor is just that powerful that it overcomes the friction of the brake with very little effort. I'm sure it's happening to everyone. How about attach a little American flag to it that flips up when you flip the lever over.

If it was only when you unloaded it off the trailer I doubt very much you did any damage at all. I would be very surprised if the motor even noticed it at all.

It was just when I unloaded it off of trailer! I am so anal about my stuff that this drove me nuts! Oh well - cant take it back. Thanks guys!

I've done it so many times. Here my fix, I painting the engaged side lever with an obvious colored paint.
So when you are ride you will not see it unless the sled ran over you. :)

jlemieu1 said:
I've done it so many times. Here my fix, I painting the engaged side lever with an obvious colored paint.
So when you are ride you will not see it unless the sled ran over you. :)

Now that's a great idea-- I'm painting the "underside" of the lever florencent orange! Won't ever miss that.

Great idea on the paint guys!

I never did this on my Viper because it did not have reverse, and I had to pull it off my trailer backwards. I would have noticed imediately if the parking brake was on.

However my new Apex is a lot stronger than me, and I have already backed off my trailer once with the parking brake on. I also felt like an idiot!

I am anal also but I am quite sure that no damage occured as I caught it right away before going forward.

I did it last year no problem, but I like that paint idea.

A few years back I was so excited to ride my brand new RX-1 at the time that I backed it off the trailer and made it all the way from the Tug Hill inn to the flatrock with the break on! 6000 trouble free miles followed. No worries

Back