• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Perplexing results today??

The only thing that's on the dash is the horsepower reading up in the left hand corner. And you toggle it with the left upper toggle switch.
I actually have to look at it to make sure it switches.

After you toggle to that hp number how do you select that tune?

I bet your intake temps were up over 100°f.
Power is being pulled from high intake temps.
Check with your tuner and see when power is starting to be pulled back.

After you toggle to that hp number how do you select that tune?

I bet your intake temps were up over 100°f.
Power is being pulled from high intake temps.
Check with your tuner and see when power is starting to be pulled back.
When you select HP it automatically installs that particular file.

I suspect your muffler may be giving you grief

Just for info:
My sled a couple years ago.
Hurricane stock manifold Perf Muffler when running the 270 setting
Hurricane PM trail muffler
Boost 17.5 psi
RPM @ 8800-8900
Primary weights DTYA1 set at 77.9 grams
Primary spring Dalton Bronze
Secondary spring Dalton B/O 6/2
I no longer run this setup as I have changed a few things perf wise but this setup worked well for me.

I suspect your muffler may be giving you grief

Just for info:
My sled a couple years ago.
Hurricane stock manifold Perf Muffler when running the 270 setting
Hurricane PM trail muffler
Boost 17.5 psi
RPM @ 8800-8900
Primary weights DTYA1 set at 77.9 grams
Primary spring Dalton Bronze
Secondary spring Dalton B/O 6/2
I no longer run this setup as I have changed a few things perf wise but this setup worked well for me.
Was that on a 2 or 3 bar map?

This is not directed at you Bob. But I'm trying to understand people whom say they have a two-bar map running 280 horsepower, and claim it runs perfect.
I sit back and wonder what's perfect? How do they know?
If 10 people came on here and said they were holding 17.5 to 18 PSI with a two-bar map then I'd suspect more likely a boost leak.
This is not to rule out my muffler. But to give some direction.

I’m just going to put this out there

Why not just do a 3 bar and eliminate guess
Only downside I guess it nullifies your 2 bar tunes

This is not directed at you Bob. But I'm trying to understand people whom say they have a two-bar map running 280 horsepower, and claim it runs perfect.
If 10 people came on here and said they were holding 17.5 to 18 PSI with a two-bar map then I'd suspect more likely a boost leak.

A 2 bar map sensor will never read more than 17 lbs. on the dash, even if its actually higher. It could be 20+ lbs, but it wont read it.

I'd also never run a 2 bar map sensor on any tune over 240 HP. Get the 3 bar in there if you are going over that with the proper 3 bar tunes, but that is not the problem here. The problem is going to be boost leaks, and/or that home-brewed restrictive muffler. Seen low flow mufflers rob performance time and time again and people don't believe it till they swap it out.

I’m just going to put this out there

Why not just do a 3 bar and eliminate guess
Only downside I guess it nullifies your 2 bar tunes
It's not a big deal. TD will send me updated tunes.
A 2 bar map sensor will never read more than 17 lbs. on the dash, even if its actually higher. It could be 20+ lbs, but it wont read it.

I'd also never run a 2 bar map sensor on any tune over 240 HP. Get the 3 bar in there if you are going over that with the proper 3 bar tunes, but that is not the problem here. The problem is going to be boost leaks, and/or that home-brewed restrictive muffler. Seen low flow mufflers rob performance time and time again and people don't believe it till they swap it out.
Working on muffler situation now. If in fact that's the culprit.
Then in the off season I'll get my homebrew fixed. I hate to run it straight through but such is life.
Mike, sometimes in life we are misdirected.
I'm not mad even a little. But TD claims MAX17 can run on pump fuel, utilize their 2.5" stock mod muffler and run on a 2 bar map.
I say, "maybe in a perfect world"

It's not a big deal. TD will send me updated tunes.
Working on muffler situation now. If in fact that's the culprit.
Then in the off season I'll get my homebrew fixed. I hate to run it straight through but such is life.
Mike, sometimes in life we are misdirected.
I'm not mad even a little. But TD claims MAX17 can run on pump fuel, utilize their 2.5" stock mod muffler and run on a 2 bar map.
I say, "maybe in a perfect world"
Not in a perfect world, people do it all the time. You got some knock, are you 100% sure of the fuel quality? You cant be because if you cant test it you cant know. Your fuel pump could be a bit weak or regulator a bit weak causing knock easier but sled still runs good. You may have a small boost or exhaust leak causing intake temps to climb at a more rapid rate leading to knock. Max 17 is a 17ish psi tune right on the edge of the factory sensor. Max spool 17 is a 17.8-18.2psi tune. Get powertrail performing well so you know your ducks are close to being in a row and then work up to the bigger stuff.

Another thing to check is do your tunes have a default tune that it goes to when you shut off and restart? Mine do and that got me when I was tuning, had default set to 240hp, set weights and tune for 270hp, shut sled off and went to try and wasn't what I expected, got home and it was on 240hp lol

I have always had a 3 bar map sensor on my sled since it was tuned from new.
On the 300hp, stock manifold, perf muffler tune it would read well over 20psi of boost.

Another thing to check is do your tunes have a default tune that it goes to when you shut off and restart? Mine do and that got me when I was tuning, had default set to 240hp, set weights and tune for 270hp, shut sled off and went to try and wasn't what I expected, got home and it was on 240hp lol
LOL...that has happened to me as well. Yesterday with sled running and I had manually selected the 300 tune I then connected the app to the gap flasher to data log and the sled reverted to the default 240 tune as well...fooled me the first time...never again. :)

Not in a perfect world, people do it all the time. You got some knock, are you 100% sure of the fuel quality? You cant be because if you cant test it you cant know. Your fuel pump could be a bit weak or regulator a bit weak causing knock easier but sled still runs good. You may have a small boost or exhaust leak causing intake temps to climb at a more rapid rate leading to knock. Max 17 is a 17ish psi tune right on the edge of the factory sensor. Max spool 17 is a 17.8-18.2psi tune. Get powertrail performing well so you know your ducks are close to being in a row and then work up to the bigger stuff.
Understand, and that's why I started changing tunes, click click click. Imagine my surprise.
Ecotrail & powertrail shouldn't see any knock. Based on their ability to use less octane.
Especially on eco trail using 91 octane there's no reason why it wouldn't pull all the way on top with and not throw a deto light.
I'm hopeful that this clogged up muffler is the answer to my salvation.
Oh my, are you saying I'm supposed to select a tune, shut it off, and restart? Ugh.

Understand, and that's why I started changing tunes, click click click. Imagine my surprise.
Ecotrail & powertrail shouldn't see any knock. Based on their ability to use less octane.
Especially on eco trail using 91 octane there's no reason why it wouldn't pull all the way on top with and not throw a deto light.
I'm hopeful that this clogged up muffler is the answer to my salvation.

Oh my, are you saying I'm supposed to select a tune, shut it off, and restart? Ugh.

No, when you select the tune on the dash, thats the tune its in, no need to shut anything off.

strapped on the headlight flashlight, doused the motor in a soapy sud solution and cranked up the pressure to 21psi. There is just one area around a fitting that's producing any viable leaks that I'm aware of.
I sprayed the intake clamps down, for & aft tb's, the charge tube clamps down, etc. If there is an area I'm missing let me know. As I would like to move forward in this process.
IMG_20230205_130608379_copy_2048x1536.jpg
IMG_20230205_131040912_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Last edited:

Back