• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phaser idle adjustment/ RPM range

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha phaser 144 xtx
Hey folks looking for some advice, when your phaser idles down ,how low does your RPM drop.
My 2014 phaser xtx drops too 1346 now the reason behind all the questions.
I had an error code 30 pop up a cpl times but only after some deep powder power pulling if that’s such a thing ,lol, and I stop and let her idle down. She would chug and the idle would drop down and then the code flashes with a stall of the engine. I did check the oil, et etc, all good.
After reading some folks experiences online and looking over the sled I’m thinking the idle is a little low which would cause the oil psi to drop and produce the code 30.
I’ve gone out for a few runs and no sign any problems till the other day in some killer powder I noticed the same thing just after some heavy power pulling the idle dropped off when I came off the gas. I didn’t let her idle all the way down and no error code showed up. Hmm ehh.
So is a 1346 rpm to low of an idle which would cause the oil psi to drop too low causing a fault code of 30.
Cheers
Tnks for all the help , learned so much from this site.

Manual says it should be between 1700-1900 RPM. It should be adjusted after completely being warmed up to the point where the fan comes on.

I've had instances where it would idle lower after a hard run but usually recovers after a minute or so. Adjust it and see how it goes.

If mine is worked hard (powder play/fan kicking on) it idles down to around 1200-1300 until it cools off a bit where it returns to ~1700rpm. I've bumped up the normal warm idle to ~2000 and it only drops to ~1500 now when heat soaked, BUT its a lot more touchy getting into reverse with the idle bumped up like that.

Hey folks trying too set the idle and I can’t figure WTF ,goes into the idle adjustment slot.
I have the Manuel but it’s no help, cant see inside and can’t figure out how to get too the idle.
Is it a straight screwdriver and anyone have any clues as too how far in.
I have a fused back and this is by far the worse sled I have ever owned too work on.
Might cause me too sell her with this much trouble for simple maintenance B.S.
Sorry for the rant on yamaha, pain really messes with time the mind.
Tnks for any help.

Hey folks trying too set the idle and I can’t figure WTF ,goes into the idle adjustment slot.
I have the Manuel but it’s no help, cant see inside and can’t figure out how to get too the idle.
Is it a straight screwdriver and anyone have any clues as too how far in.
I have a fused back and this is by far the worse sled I have ever owned too work on.
Might cause me too sell her with this much trouble for simple maintenance B.S.
Sorry for the rant on yamaha, pain really messes with time the mind.
Tnks for any help.
I had a 2010 RTX Phazer that would flash a caution orange light when riding in a lot of powder like breaking trail, turns out the engine was getting to cold, when I stopped the idle was erratic almost wanting to stall but after a few minutes the engine returned to proper operating temperature and the idle returned to normal, raising your idle will cause trouble getting into reverse like Blueironranger mentioned, when you first start your machine and let warm up what rpm does your idle fall back to?

I had a 2010 RTX Phazer that would flash a caution orange light when riding in a lot of powder like breaking trail, turns out the engine was getting to cold, when I stopped the idle was erratic almost wanting to stall but after a few minutes the engine returned to proper operating temperature and the idle returned to normal, raising your idle will cause trouble getting into reverse like Blueironranger mentioned, when you first start your machine and let warm up what rpm does your idle fall back to?
Tnks for the reply, I’d reference my first post in the thread, but the idle does drop too 1380 once warmed up with the fan cycled .
Cheers

I also had the 2014 xtx which I liked and it was a great sled, like Mooseman said the idle should be at 1700 -1900, yours after warm up at 1380 is to low, I believe if memory serves me right there is a small hole with a rubber plug in it on the clutch side, idle adjustment is done there with a screwdriver, I did this on my 2010 RTX with a foot long small screwdriver, not sure if it was a flat or a hex adjusting screw, don't remember having any trouble adjusting it though.

I also had the 2014 xtx which I liked and it was a great sled, like Mooseman said the idle should be at 1700 -1900, yours after warm up at 1380 is to low, I believe if memory serves me right there is a small hole with a rubber plug in it on the clutch side, idle adjustment is done there with a screwdriver, I did this on my 2010 RTX with a foot long small screwdriver, not sure if it was a flat or a hex adjusting screw, don't remember having any trouble adjusting it though.
It is a Philips head.. I looked it up, lol

If you're talking about how to access the adjuster, I hear you. IIRC, it's a philips screwdriver but I hated having to access it through that damned hole. This was my solution:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/a-better-place-to-put-the-idle-adjuster.140840/
Right on Mooseman, tnks for the link too your thread, that helps, I’m not alone, lol, okay now I guess I have too get into tearing this front cowling apart, too make the idle more accessible. Yaaa, lol,
Ohh well add it too the list, next is the rear skid, gonna setup for a 4th rear wheel and I got a cpl chips out of a cpl bogey wheels. Here’s hoping we get some snow , cheers, tnks again , for the help fellas

All this tear down, just too adjust the idle, and upon inspection,I can’t figure out how Yamaha thought a person could adjust the idle without doing as much. I mean with the placement of the idle adjustment there’s no way a person could adjust it by the yamii manuel, with just inserting a screwdriver blindly into a little hole ,that’s no where’s no the idle adjustment.
Anyways, excuse the rant ,same oldsong, lol, unfortunately I popped off the throttle body from the engine by mistake when pulling out the air box , now big monkey hands has too find a small Allen key too get at the band clamps too pop the throttle body back in place.. lol, my back officially hates this sled, luckily , I don’t , ... cheers peeps.

Attachments

• FAB5BECB-9C83-467B-BCA3-39AEEEFC2803.jpeg
    FAB5BECB-9C83-467B-BCA3-39AEEEFC2803.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 606
you should invest in a scissors lift to bring it up to you not very expensive and with your fused back money well spent. I use ball end Allen sockets that are 6" long they get in on the boots nice and can be bought at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Tnks for the reply, I looked at those lifts, I have mine about 2 or 3 feet in the air now, I find ya almost have too crawl into the machine too wiggle the monkey mits into position too work on her , lol.. fun fun.. cheers

All this tear down, just too adjust the idle, and upon inspection,I can’t figure out how Yamaha thought a person could adjust the idle without doing as much. I mean with the placement of the idle adjustment there’s no way a person could adjust it by the yamii manuel, with just inserting a screwdriver blindly into a little hole ,that’s no where’s no the idle adjustment.
Anyways, excuse the rant ,same oldsong, lol, unfortunately I popped off the throttle body from the engine by mistake when pulling out the air box , now big monkey hands has too find a small Allen key too get at the band clamps too pop the throttle body back in place.. lol, my back officially hates this sled, luckily , I don’t , ... cheers peeps.
Found the whole problem, the mechanic that changed my oil forgot too place the idle back into its holder.
Not much wonder I couldn’t get the screwdriver too work, ffs, lol..
I may still try and position it in a more accessible spot or not, ...

Back