• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer 2007 not charging (error 46) even with new battery + regulator

Maciek C

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Phazer 2007 Mountain Lite
Hey. Really hoping you guys can help. I live in an isolated town way out near the arctic circle, probably 1500km to my nearest Yamaha dealer, so paying for professional help isn't an option.

Basic symptom: My battery isn't charging. Voltage at battery terminals is around 11.8v when running, regardless of RPM. Can still start the machine by charging the battery from the mains. After a ride or two though the dash board starts to show "Error 46", and then pretty soon after that the battery is flat and I can't start it anymore.

Following the advice of the service manual I tested all the wiring between the battery and rectifier/regulator (all good) and resistance on the 3 white wires running to the stator coil (all within specs). I then replaced the rectifier/regulator with a brand new one. Also got a new battery, just in case.

Despite the new battery and regulator, the symptoms have not changed. It's still not charging.

My next guess is that the problem is the stator. But since it costs a fortune to ship things out here, I want to be certain before I order a new one. But I can't find any specs on what the output voltage from the stator should be. Does anyone know?

If it's not the stator, what else could it be?

What else I should be checking?

Thank you

Matt

have the ground blocks been serviced/replaced?

Not that I'm aware of. I've only owned the machine 6 months myself. Is there a way for me to diagnose whether they're the source of my problems?

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think that's my problem. My sled already has that new sub-harness attached to the negative battery terminal. Also, it starts just fine with a fully charged battery attached, it just doesn't charge the battery while the sled is running.

Any other thoughts?

Anyone know a procedure for checking whether the stator coil is working? Already checked the resistance between the white leads as suggested by service manual and it's within spec.

The manual doesn't say so but did you check for a short of the stator wires to ground? Also check the main ground wire to the battery. And I also have to ask if you checked the 40A main fuse.

Yup, I've checked all the battery leads, I've checked the leads to the regulator/rectifier, the leads from that to the stator, I've checked all the fuses. On your advice I just went back and checked each of the white wires coming out stator for connectivity to group---nope, infinite resistance.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet, buy a new stator assembly and pray that it actually fixes my problem. I've heard that replacing the stator on this beast is like a 12 hour job, but I've got nothing but free time every weekend, so...

Hey. Really hoping you guys can help. I live in an isolated town way out near the arctic circle, probably 1500km to my nearest Yamaha dealer, so paying for professional help isn't an option.

Basic symptom: My battery isn't charging. Voltage at battery terminals is around 11.8v when running, regardless of RPM. Can still start the machine by charging the battery from the mains. After a ride or two though the dash board starts to show "Error 46", and then pretty soon after that the battery is flat and I can't start it anymore.

Following the advice of the service manual I tested all the wiring between the battery and rectifier/regulator (all good) and resistance on the 3 white wires running to the stator coil (all within specs). I then replaced the rectifier/regulator with a brand new one. Also got a new battery, just in case.

Despite the new battery and regulator, the symptoms have not changed. It's still not charging.

My next guess is that the problem is the stator. But since it costs a fortune to ship things out here, I want to be certain before I order a new one. But I can't find any specs on what the output voltage from the stator should be. Does anyone know?

If it's not the stator, what else could it be?

What else I should be checking?

Thank you

Matt
Did you find that the stator was done ?

All three white wires from stator should show NO resistance to each other and NONE of 3 should be grounded.

I like to measure the resistance between wires then with the engine running measure the actual AC voltage output of all three phases.

Is there any way to check the regulator ?

Yes, check for proper AC input voltage from Stator and then check for proper DC output voltage from Rectifier/Regulator. If the input is correct and there is no output then the Rectifier/Regulator is bad. If you suspect it's bad look at the back side to see if the epoxy is cracked. Many of the ones I've replaced had severe cracking of the epoxy which may be an indication of overheating and a possible failure. These units are not specific to just Yamaha snowmobiles. They are used in several applications and usually can be found at a reasonable price. The last one I replaced was purchased with a Can Am part number and I installed it in a Vector.

I like to measure the resistance between wires then with the engine running measure the actual AC voltage output of all three phases.
I found the voltage on the 3 phases are 45 v / 45 v & 13 v . I am assuming they should all be 45 v . The out put from the regulator is 15.3 v = is that normal ?
Thanks.

Back