• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Motor Teardown

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Wow this was fun!These are some really slick motors.Alot of neat little things I have never seen before.I got this motor from a member here just to do some experimenting on the head.Turns out even the head is useable along with many other parts including crank,rods,pump and more.Kind of like a bonus finding all that!

Took me about 1.5hrs to completely tear it down.Broke a socket on the Headbolts so could of been done quicker.Putting it back together would probably take days!

Here is the flywheel and the One-way bearing is behind it.When starters were failing worries about this bearing came up.Dont.Its a very good size oneway.See that wire in the end of the bolt that holds flywheel on.It flings oil out the crank hole and into the oneway.Pretty slick idea.That bolt and counterbalancer nut are lefthand threads.Took awhile to figure that out!This would not be that difficult to get at since motor could stay in sled.Bulkhead would have to be removed on that side though.

Flywheel is easily removed with a 3 bolt puller.No need for special puller like YFZ has.

Also shown is the waterpump.Its completely seperate and it and oilpump are driven by that small chain you see there.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 012 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 012 (Medium).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 604
  • Phazer Engine 013 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 013 (Medium).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 751

This is the oilpump and pickup.Its huge!

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 014 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 014 (Medium).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Phazer Engine 015 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 015 (Medium).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 594
Here is the case split.Just remove all the bolt and it comes right apart.I dont know the history of this motor as far as miles but bearings looked fine yet.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 020 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 020 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 593
  • Phazer Engine 021 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 021 (Medium).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 645
Do you have someone lined up to do some bench flowing the head and do some porting after?

otter

Once case is split then you can remove the rodcaps and pop the pistons out the top.The caps are pinned and bolted.Very nice.

Pistons are tiny!Absolutely minimal skirt and noticed piston skirt is much larger dia than the ring area.Two big oil holes each side also.Never saw a piston like this.

Counterbalancer can slide right out without splitting case.Both ends are splined and wieght can only be put on one way since one of the splines is shaped different than others.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 025 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 025 (Medium).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 616
  • Phazer Engine 026 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 026 (Medium).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 585
  • Phazer Engine 027 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 027 (Medium).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 589
  • Phazer Engine 028 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 028 (Medium).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 582
Now for the bad news.This is what happens when Gear Reduction goes.Its ugly.Found big pieces of gear in sump.Gear was burned to a crisp.If it could be looked at easier it would be very easy to see a set that was going to fail.Also the output where clutch is mounted to wieghs over 5lbs!I dont know if its like a harmonic balancer or what but will cut it apart in Lathe to see.Really has me wondering thought behind this.Must be a strain on gears.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 016 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 016 (Medium).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 616
  • Phazer Engine 017 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 017 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 598
  • Phazer Engine 018 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 018 (Medium).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 597
  • Phazer Engine 019 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 019 (Medium).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 589
  • Phazer Engine 002 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 002 (Medium).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 590
Yellowknife had some bolts back out of his counterbalancer bearing he said.Led to his motor going down.I believe these are the bolts.When I took these out they were very,very tight and Loctited so maybe his was just a fluke.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 022 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 022 (Medium).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Phazer Engine 024 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 024 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 590
Cannondale27, simply an awesome post. People that take the time to post these things are why.... :rocks: Keep us posted as you do your mods. I have renewed confidence in my motor now that I see some of those components.

No problem.It was fun!Putting it all back together is whole different game.
Here is cylinders.Notice oil squirter in each.Thats a good thing.Also is a hole going right through center which would give access to the wristpins without splitting the case.Not sure how a guy would get the piston out of bore once pins are out?Maybe a piece of rod pushed up through hole.

Attachments

• Phazer Engine 004 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 004 (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Phazer Engine 005 (Medium).jpg
    Phazer Engine 005 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 566

Back