• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

PHAZER MTX - 151" TRACK WITHOUT EXTENSIONS

TreewellDweller

Veteran
Got a 2007 Phazer last spring and took it for a nice long spring ride. A fun sled but it trenched pretty bad. Didn't seem to float as well as the D8s and XPs that I was riding with. You could always tell where I had been by the depth of the trench that the Phazer left.
Well, I cut down a 151"x16" track to a 14" width and started the project.
I slid the rear suspension back 3.5", and to do so, I had to fabricate a rear hanger plate. So far, it seems to have worked fairly well. I have not ridden it much but I will keep an eye on it to report any malfunctions or additional changes. I installed an extra thick washer on the rear mounting bolt to shim out to the suspension hanger. Since the tunnel has a bit of a curve in that area I had to use some thin washers between the new rear plate and the tunnel,also. The front bolt in the plate is where the original bolt was for the rear hanger. The new plate is 1/8" steel but some thicker alluminum would work nicely and maybe better. Hopefully the pictures will tell the story. If not, let me know. I am hoping that the improved approach angle and different track will let this little dream float a lot better. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• Phazer track relocate complete 004.jpg
    Phazer track relocate complete 004.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 2,199
  • Phazer Track Relocation 018.jpg
    Phazer Track Relocation 018.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 942
  • Phazer Track Relocation 012.jpg
    Phazer Track Relocation 012.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Phazer Track Relocation 014.jpg
    Phazer Track Relocation 014.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 862
  • Phazer Track Relocation 013.jpg
    Phazer Track Relocation 013.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 831
  • Phazer Track Relocation 015.jpg
    Phazer Track Relocation 015.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 877

oh. I love it. What do you have going on in the front? did you raise the hole up? it looks like you have a hole level with the original that you didn't use? I bet that changed your angle of attack enough to help a lot! was there reinforcement behind the new front mounting hole? What are the chances that you made a template for your bracket that you could post or email?

The attack angle on the Phazer is the worst part on a wicked fun little sled.Moving your skid back like that should fix that problem, but it will also give it some serious ski pressure,even more with the front mount holes moved up. Have you ridden it in new snow yet? Let us know how it works out, it looks pretty slick.

151" TRACK WITH EXTENSIONS

I tried my best to shift it straight back within the tunnel. This does move the center of balance backwards, a bit, but I didn't want to lose ski pressure since it is for my wife and daughter to ride. If need be, I might lower the front of the skid(lower the bolt hole) an inch or so to lighten the ski pressure but I am waiting for some more snow to really try it out. The front bolt still has some of the inside backing plate utilized. I did keep the template that I made for the rear plate. I will dig it out and try to get a copy of it online to send out. Should have a good storm coming through this weekend so I can try this thing out. Keep your fingers crossed!

151" TRACK WITHOUT EXTENSIONS

I saw a thread in Snowest where someone slid the suspension back and up to keep the rear bolt in the original sheet metal. It lowered his rear suspension within the tunnel by maybe 1.5". That process really flattened the approach angle. So, in answer to your question, yes you could relocate the rear bolt in the original sheet metal. I just opted not to. Trying to maintain original riding height of suspension.

I think you have done exactly what the phazer needed from the factory. In fact, with my phazer sitting next to my 05 vector mountain on the trailer, they have the exact same amount of track on the ground, same length of rails and same overall length, but the vector uses a 151 track. All the difference is made up in the angle of attack. Huge difference between those two sleds. The phazer looks straight up and down in comparison.

Ride report

Looking at doing the same thing on my girlfriends. Any changes after hitting the snow?

Looks like you kept both holes at the same relative height, just back 3 inches? How was the ski pressure? Any other handling changes? Did you install an anti stab kit?--there seems to be a school of thought that if you push the skid back and open the distance between driver and rails you increase the stabbing tendency.

Thinking about going to Nytro drivers and gearing down (since Nytro 3.0 pitch 7 tooth effectively raises the gearing) seems like 3.0 pitch racks are more plentiful in the used market a Powerclaw 153 or Challenger take-off would be sweet....

80hp 153 track and a 120lb rider, sounds like a great combination to me...

Thanks,
Murph

151" TRACK WITHOUT EXTENSIONS

Finally had a chance to ride the Phazer with the different track and approach angle. Seemed to float quite well. Rode it in the same meadow as my 159" Rev Summit and it didn't have any deeper trench in about 2 foot of powder. I think it has made lot of difference. It seems to have a bit more ski pressure on the trail but I haven't ridden it since last year and, even then, not that much. I took the time and lowered the front mounting hole by an inch to push the front of the suspension down and hopefully reduce the ski pressure. Need to take another trip. I would really like to get a stock Phazer and do a side by side comparison. I'm going to have to find someone that has a stocker and talk them into going for a little ride. I'll keep the progress posted.

Attachments

• Phazer track relocate adjustment 001.jpg
    Phazer track relocate adjustment 001.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 877
  • Phazer track relocate adjustment 003.jpg
    Phazer track relocate adjustment 003.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 996
Great topic. I am new to wrenching on sleds as far as things like this would go. This looks like a first good project to do on my wife's sled this summer. As a total newbie on suspension changes, do you have any more pictures of the project or similar ones?

It sounds like the only parts you needed was the additional bracket you cut and the track? Oh yeah, and one more newbie q, what is stabbing?

If you drop to the stock plate in the rear it will really help your balance and keep the approach angle real shallow. I found that to work perfect on the 162 I did a while back although i had to go further back and make a bracket for the Apex rails to fit.

Nice job well worth the effort.

I did the 162 because I had the rails and track here, but would not hesitate to use a Nytro take of 153.
The soft tracks work real well with low horsepower sleds like the Phazer.

Back