• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer secondary clutch swap

2stroken

Expert
So if I were to put a secondary off of say a yamaha
97 Xtc500
97 600sx
97 700sx
98 srx 600
98 700 srx
98 600 sx.

Which of those clutches would make a good replacement

Its a long read but well worth your time. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=101732

The clutches you listed will all work, but look for one that has a helix close to 40*.

94-96 vmax clutches require NO machining, just a spacer and longer bolt. Also probably need to remove all the spacer washers to get belt to ride proper with this style clutch. Here is mine before I removed the spacers, belt a little high. Mine is a 96 VX600 clutch, 41* helix. Absolutely rocks and belt change is 10 seconds.
66502cf9-10a3-4814-93f5-0053099f0262.jpg

MikeWalters said:
Its a long read but well worth your time. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=101732

The clutches you listed will all work, but look for one that has a helix close to 40*.

94-96 vmax clutches require NO machining, just a spacer and longer bolt. Also probably need to remove all the spacer washers to get belt to ride proper with this style clutch. Here is mine before I removed the spacers, belt a little high. Mine is a 96 VX600 clutch, 41* helix. Absolutely rocks and belt change is 10 seconds.
66502cf9-10a3-4814-93f5-0053099f0262.jpg

Thanks for the info, I had read some threads about it, I was looking to see if anyone knew the helix/spring combos that would work of the ones I listed.

I have a '96 Vmax 600XT clutch sitting here, you guys are saying that with the appropriate shim (0.700"?) behind the clutch and a new bolt I can swap it right on? With some tuning I would assume?

Dave

Smokyred said:
I have a '96 Vmax 600XT clutch sitting here, you guys are saying that with the appropriate shim (0.700"?) behind the clutch and a new bolt I can swap it right on? With some tuning I would assume?

Dave

Did you read through the thread that I linked to above? It's all in there. Thick read but seriously worth it.

Answer is YES. Do you know how to measure offset? Put enough washers behind your 'new' clutch to get the specified offset, then take then measure face of jackshaft to the outside edge of the clutch. Add 1.5mm to this measurement and you will have the length of the spacer you need. Its not the same with all the sleds, so measure to be exact. The whole process is described in the thread linked above.

And your 96XT clutch will be perfect, it should have a 41* helix. Remove the belt spacer shims to get the ride height correct. Polish that helix, set your spring to 60* (assuming its the spring with the green mark on it) and you will have an excellent starting point.

For you specifically, you can follow what I did on p.13 of that thread, I listed my offset and spacer measurements. Only parts you will need are a 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt, and the collar from an Apex to cut down, Yamaha part #90387-1407L-00.

MikeWalters said:
Smokyred said:

Dave

Did you read through the thread that I linked to above? It's all in there. Thick read but seriously worth it.

Answer is YES. Do you know how to measure offset? Put enough washers behind your 'new' clutch to get the specified offset, then take then measure face of jackshaft to the outside edge of the clutch. Add 1.5mm to this measurement and you will have the length of the spacer you need. Its not the same with all the sleds, so measure to be exact. The whole process is described in the thread linked above.

And your 96XT clutch will be perfect, it should have a 41* helix. Remove the belt spacer shims to get the ride height correct. Polish that helix, set your spring to 60* (assuming its the spring with the green mark on it) and you will have an excellent starting point.

For you specifically, you can follow what I did on p.13 of that thread, I listed my offset and spacer measurements. Only parts you will need are a 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt, and the collar from an Apex to cut down, Yamaha part #90387-1407L-00.

Thank you, yes I did read through it. I was looking for clarification as I have little experience at this point with clutching.

Dave

Smokyred said:
MikeWalters said:
Smokyred said:

Dave

Thank you, yes I did read through it. I was looking for clarification as I have little experience at this point with clutching.

Dave

If you can figure out how to measure offset (I just used a piece of square steel) and get a shop to cut that collar perfectly straight then really its very easy. Good luck.

BurrFabrication said:
I used the factory bolt, but i machined a step/recess into the clutch. Way better then putting a longer bolt in and potentionally chewing thru the clutch cover!!!

Sounds cool but not sure what you mean by chewing through the clutch cover...? Dozens or more of us haven't had any troubles. Do you mean if the bolt lets go or something?

BTW your setup sounds pretty cool, how many km do you have on with the turbo?

Back