• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer vs New Venom

bhall80

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX-DX
2014 Viper LTX-SE
2002 SX Viper
1998 Polaris Indy 600 RMK
My oldest will be 12 and trail ready next season. 5’2” and weighs around 90 lbs. He has only been on a Snoscoot. I like the idea of the new Venom but not totally stoked about a 2-stroke since all my other sleds in the fleet are 4. Let’s hope the clutching on the Venom is a non issue going forward. Also, I’m assuming you could buy a 121 4-stroke Phazer and fix some of the known issues for about half the cost of a new Venom. Between the two sleds, what would be best for a 12 year old? Handling, upkeep etc. Any feedback?

I have driven a phaser but not a venom.

I am willing to bet the venom will fit your son better. The phaser, although lower in hp, is still an adult sled. It had funny handling quirks imo. It is not a passive ride, and needed full rider input to respond. I also believe that the miles you will accumulate, a new 2 stroke will serve you well. Unless you plan on running it 20,000km or more.

Check out STV, one of the earlier episodes this season. Jeff does a great, live break down of that sled while driving and narrating. Worth the watch.
MS

I have driven a phaser but not a venom.

I am willing to bet the venom will fit your son better. The phaser, although lower in hp, is still an adult sled. It had funny handling quirks imo. It is not a passive ride, and needed full rider input to respond. I also believe that the miles you will accumulate, a new 2 stroke will serve you well. Unless you plan on running it 20,000km or more.

Check out STV, one of the earlier episodes this season. Jeff does a great, live break down of that sled while driving and narrating. Worth the watch.
MS
Phazer is over 10hp more than the venom.

The Phazer would blow the doors off a Venom in a drag race surely on top but I have always been very selective on who I let ride my Phazer. Even adults. Dirt bike guys and girls no problem. First time riders no way! Unless in a huge flat field. The Venom I would feel comfortable letting almost anyone ride. It’s way easier and better handling. Little less power too. Still fun like the Phazer but way less intimidating. Venom.

Thanks for the feedback! The Venom seems like the best route. My son has no other motor sports experience than the Scoot.

Venom would benefit from a sway bar. It handles good but with narrow stance and no sway bar it is almost as tippy as a phazer. I will be working on a sway bar kit and if that don’t suit me i will just put a std trail set of a arms on it. Trail front end is so stable and it baffles me as to why the trail version venoms do not have it!

Both of my Phazers (well used) weren't too impressive or safe feeling when I purchased them. After some adjusting and general maintenance I got them to be somewhat acceptable. We had three guests up this past winter and I was rather scared to let anyone drive them but none had any issues, even in the tight twisty trails. Two of them liked my old Cat's way better and the third thought the Phazer was awesome. I've since made more changes and finally got them feeling decent to me. For next season I'll be ditching the stock skis in favor of some Curve's and I think that'll be one of the final items to making these things nearly perfect (for me anyways).

The Venom being a Cat chassis is going to be hands down better in stock form than a Phazer as far as chassis dynamics. That being said, the 4-stroke 500 twin is still my personal favorite and I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

My 12 year old nephew, who is very athletic, and also had experience on 4-wheelers, rode one of my Phazers. We started him in the field, and he seemed to do well, but once we were out on the trail, I don't think he made it through a dozen corners before missing one, and ending up in the "puckerbrush". I loved the Phazer engine; it made the sled fun to ride, and made up for most of the sled's other issues. I still wish that they would put the Phazer engine in the Venom!

I still wish that they would put the Phazer engine in the Venom!

Funny how they used Yamaha's 4 cycle in Snowscoot then 360 degrees to Arctic Cat's 2 cycle for Venon/Blast. Then to stay in the game Yam started to offer other AC 2 strokes... Kind of strange for a "proud of their engines" company.

I'm thinking Arctic Cat strong arm Yamaha with its latest offering by saying if we assemble them, our engines or nothing.

Funny how they used Yamaha's 4 cycle in Snowscoot then 360 degrees to Arctic Cat's 2 cycle for Venon/Blast. Then to stay in the game Yam started to offer other AC 2 strokes... Kind of strange for a "proud of their engines" company.

I'm thinking Arctic Cat strong arm Yamaha with its latest offering by saying if we assemble them, our engines or nothing.
No. Nothing Yamaha makes is even close to the engine Package in Venom. If going 4st it would not be small,light and powerful for a 400.

I hear ya. But they lost a sale on this one. Planing to upgrade from new Snowscoot but won't be a Venom. My kids love to pull their friends and siblings behind it with a tube. I'm not greenpeace but don't want the younglings inhaling 2 stroke smoke.

I’ve been down this road with my son and daughter.….91 snosport, 94 phazer, 08 phazer , 12 Polaris pro 600

Hands down the 4 stroke phazer was the best sled for them. It’s easy to drive, not high strung like a 600 2 stroke, and has a radiator so they don’t over heat in the trail if snow is thin.

We mountain ride, but trails are part of it until they can handle off trail. I spent hrs modifying chassis to make them work better.

Also depends on how your child does…watching temp gauge, handling more power, stopping…etc.

Attachments

• 11949B4E-BF9A-4A80-AAE5-EA36169A91D5.jpeg
    11949B4E-BF9A-4A80-AAE5-EA36169A91D5.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 37C53251-6496-4076-B06A-E0B6190F3CA8.jpeg
    37C53251-6496-4076-B06A-E0B6190F3CA8.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 78
  • EFA8A534-47D9-4C21-94B5-7C9072B5521C.jpeg
    EFA8A534-47D9-4C21-94B5-7C9072B5521C.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 78AC0D8B-24ED-4C8E-AAF3-389780EE0EC4.jpeg
    78AC0D8B-24ED-4C8E-AAF3-389780EE0EC4.jpeg