• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Picking up a used sled for my son

mcamzr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
This may not be the right place to post this but you guys are always the most helpful. I’m looking to pick up another sled for the family/son. My son it going to be 12 in March and spent this winter riding his 1978 Jag 340 and for the most part my wife’s older 1997 EXT Deluxe 580 around the fields at home and out on the lake. My question is I found what I think is a good deal on a 2000 Sxr 500 with 28xx miles on it. But a Sxr 600 triple can be had for the same money. Is the triple at 14lds and I think around 10 hp to much sled for a 12year old? Thanks for all the help.

It always comes down to the rider and driving ability. My 14yr old came on a 300 mile trip with me on a 2000 500 Phaser. He did very well and stayed within his driving capabilities. At 16 he rode my 08 Vector. I never had a worry about him.

This may not be the right place to post this but you guys are always the most helpful. I’m looking to pick up another sled for the family/son. My son it going to be 12 in March and spent this winter riding his 1978 Jag 340 and for the most part my wife’s older 1997 EXT Deluxe 580 around the fields at home and out on the lake. My question is I found what I think is a good deal on a 2000 Sxr 500 with 28xx miles on it. But a Sxr 600 triple can be had for the same money. Is the triple at 14lds and I think around 10 hp to much sled for a 12year old? Thanks for all the help.
Get the 600, better motor and way better on gas in my opinion. Best way for a kid to learn is with his Pa . Way ta Go !

500 & 600 motors are completely different.
Go for the best.
600 triple Red Head,
All Day .....
Will have a good sled for him to grow into.

Also , that twin 500 is lean at part throttle. A young child can burn one tight quicker than you think.
Ask me how I know .....

I agree it probably comes down to rider ability to handle the extra power with the 600. If he’s riding behind you all the time, probably not an issue. I used to have a 500 back in the day and it was a great sled. For what it’s worth, my 12 year old, who is a good athlete with very limited power sports experience, handled a 2021 Venom with ease. Certainly a different price point than what you are looking at but it worked great if that is an option you’d consider.

Even for a 12 year old?
I guess it depends on the kid and the parents comfort level. The performance (hp) between the 500 twin and the 600 triple isn’t a lot but the 600 is such a better motor package

Agree the 600 triple would be the better buy. Just make sure the owner has not done a bunch of after market stuff to the motor

Back