• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot ski carbide?

Ndoggct

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Looking for 18 sidewinder
i just purchased a set on 5.7 pilots for my 18 Ltx le
It comes with 6” carbides
Is everyone running the outer 4” on the 5.7s or am I ok with a single 6”
Thank you

i just purchased a set on 5.7 pilots for my 18 Ltx le
It comes with 6” carbides
Is everyone running the outer 4” on the 5.7s or am I ok with a single 6”
Thank you
Pilots come with square 4" center in the kits, or on new SKIDOO sleds.

So the 6" you got might be something else, hard to say.

For this chassie, you need more carbide on the pilots to reduce push. I recommend a full carbide in center which is 7.5" actual but many manufacturers call them 8". Im running the ACE 8" this year from woodys. The ACE is taller and rectangular. I have run the 8" executive from woodys in past(1/2" round host bar) and they work pretty good too.

IMO you MUST run outer carbides, otherwise the ski outside edge will get worn off prematurely. Most of us use the stock 4" square bars(7/16'' host) for outers. You can run larger outside if you like, I tend to like the smaller 7/16'' host outers. I guess you could try the 6" you have outers if you like.

If you ride aggressive at all, you want more in center then 6" and you want at least a 1/2" host bar min IMO.

Dan

It was a package that was already put together that had Woodys 6”
I was going to try to run that in the center and add 4s to the outside if everyone thought was needed

Go with Snowtrackers. Best thing you can do for a Yamaha.
So snowtrackers do fit pilot skis,interesting I do hear they turn better than most carbides that fit the pilot,plus no tracking thru other ski tracks,and not twitchy. My onlt concern is RR tracks and road riding and crossing. There are trails that we need to ride the edge for 1/4 stretches to pick trail back up,how do they last,and how are they for loading onto trailers?

It was a package that was already put together that had Woodys 6”
I was going to try to run that in the center and add 4s to the outside if everyone thought was needed
Which 6" are they? You can try them, but I would not bother.

If you run big wide open trails, and dont do alot of carving in tight twistys, you would be fine.

If it were me, Id put those 6" outers, and buy some 8" centers.

Dan

Pilots come with square 4" center in the kits, or on new SKIDOO sleds.

So the 6" you got might be something else, hard to say.

For this chassie, you need more carbide on the pilots to reduce push. I recommend a full carbide in center which is 7.5" actual but many manufacturers call them 8". Im running the ACE 8" this year from woodys. The ACE is taller and rectangular. I have run the 8" executive from woodys in past(1/2" round host bar) and they work pretty good too.

IMO you MUST run outer carbides, otherwise the ski outside edge will get worn off prematurely. Most of us use the stock 4" square bars(7/16'' host) for outers. You can run larger outside if you like, I tend to like the smaller 7/16'' host outers. I guess you could try the 6" you have outers if you like.

If you ride aggressive at all, you want more in center then 6" and you want at least a 1/2" host bar min IMO.

Dan
Which 6" are they? You can try them, but I would not bother.

If you run big wide open trails, and dont do alot of carving in tight twistys, you would be fine.

If it were me, Id put those 6" outers, and buy some 8" centers.

Dan
thanks
This is new to me, so how exactly do I know where to mount the outers on the 5.7 pilots?
These have to be drilled correct? Thanks greatly

Go with Snowtrackers. Best thing you can do for a Yamaha.
I have the pilot 5.7's with semi-agg snowtrackers on my 06 Apex and have nothing but good to say about the combo.
I ride mainly trails, if I rode more powder I would go with the pilot 6.9's and st's.

Honestly I do not want snowtrackers that is why I bought the pilots, but thx for replies

Honestly I do not want snowtrackers that is why I bought the pilots, but thx for replies
I have done pilots with what you are doing and I have done pilots with Snowtrackers. The pilots with Snowtrackers are night and day difference. The Snowtrackers are what make the sidewinder into what it should be. I was reluctant of trying them years ago. I put pilots on my Nytro. It was ok. I then put the snowtrackers on and it became a totally better machine. Good luck with your new setup. It will be better than stock.

I have done pilots with what you are doing and I have done pilots with Snowtrackers. The pilots with Snowtrackers are night and day difference. The Snowtrackers are what make the sidewinder into what it should be. I was reluctant of trying them years ago. I put pilots on my Nytro. It was ok. I then put the snowtrackers on and it became a totally better machine. Good luck with your new setup. It will be better than stock.
Thank you

Why,what don't you like about trackers?
I honestly don’t not like them or even know much about them but it looks like a lot more going on on the ski that could either catch something or get caught up in crossing etc
I’m sure they are great I am just a nervous person

thanks
This is new to me, so how exactly do I know where to mount the outers on the 5.7 pilots?
These have to be drilled correct? Thanks greatly
The outers on the 5.7 pilots will most likely need to be drilled out which is super easy. Honestly though the outside bar is not going to make much diffence in the handling, it only protects the outside of the ski. IMO

Back