• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pivot Arm 1, snapped (Front Track W arm)

Barry

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper
Well had my viper XTX since new, 9k miles. Well thank god i was on a slow part of trail, relatively smooth and Front Track W arm that surrounds FTS snapped, (both sides) ( item #1) which stopped sled in a second. I got new part and heading home with it in truck, hopefully track is OK, since i was going slow. Broken tube went into track window. We'll see when i get apart tonight. Ten minutes before i was doing 80 across lake. Wooh!
Anyone have one of these break?

Attachments

• Pivot Arm 1.png
    Pivot Arm 1.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 152

Yup, 2 seasons ago. Yamaha fixed under warranty. Mine is a 14' xtx, the part number has changed so I'm not sure if there was a change to increase strength or not.

Yup.
I broke 2 in gust over 5000 miles.
First break was with stock rear shock and cat dual rate spring. Also found shock shaft bent and cross shaft cracked and ready to fail.
Second broke while running bill's spring and a hygear revalve. Bill claims im the only one to break that arm or bend the shock shaft with his spring.
No longer have the sled

Yup.
I broke 2 in gust over 5000 miles.
First break was with stock rear shock and cat dual rate spring. Also found shock shaft bent and cross shaft cracked and ready to fail.
Second broke while running bill's spring and a hygear revalve. Bill claims im the only one to break that arm or bend the shock shaft with his spring.
No longer have the sled

Well found the part at local dealer. Took home and found track is torn bad. Boy I take care of this sled. Sucks. Bumming out right now

That sucks but glad you werent hurt. I would take that new arm to a good tig welder and have him redo the welds and reinforce the arm. Mine has extra corner braces in each corner at top and wrapped sheet metal around bottom tube and up main tubes. Has lasted last three seasons. Broke two shock testing before that. You absolutely cannot have a center shock that bottoms. Stock suspension will not take it and a revalve or refresh of shocks is needed. The spring helps but not a end all fix unless only riding in powder where its not a issue.

I think Yamaha should cover this. I ride smooth trails with no jumping and this happens. What the hell. Yes I have newer Hygear shocks all around. Just found a track and bought new bearings. This reliable Yamaha rumors is a joke. Recent valve adjustment is $1k. I could have bought new pistons for 2 stroke cheaper

Attachments

• A097EEE1-9DAB-46F0-9C2E-D2449AA7A77B.jpeg
    A097EEE1-9DAB-46F0-9C2E-D2449AA7A77B.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 170
Oh yeah when talking reliable and snowmobiles well the more you ride the more they break. All brands

Oh and reinforcements I did would not have helped where that arm broke. Sorry to be a dick but there is no way you road smooth trails to do that. May have broke on a smooth one but it was cracked already from a rough one or jump.

Oh and reinforcements I did would not have helped where that arm broke. Sorry to be a dick but there is no way you road smooth trails to do that. May have broke on a smooth one but it was cracked already from a rough one or jump.
Yes I agree it didn’t just break. But did fall apart with no warning on smooth trail. I just remember hitting anything that would damage that. I guess small crack that got worse. Only rode twice since I had on my table for pre season service. Parts on the way along with new Polaris xc

I think Yamaha should cover this. I ride smooth trails with no jumping and this happens. What the hell. Yes I have newer Hygear shocks all around. Just found a track and bought new bearings. This reliable Yamaha rumors is a joke. Recent valve adjustment is $1k. I could have bought new pistons for 2 stroke cheaper
I run Hygear front and back for 4 seasons, found a broken spring on center shock last fall. It happens but it did not happen on a smooth trail. If I continued to ride on that shock I'm not sure what would have happened. What condition are the shocks in and have they been serviced? Lucky you did not get hurt.

Back