• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Please tell how to sync the carbs on 03 RX-1

1st thing you need to do is get a mercury carb sync gage from someone that accepts 4 cylinders.

2nd thing to do is get 2 tees for the vaccum lines on cylinder 1 & 4.

3rd - warm up the engine till it runs just under operating temp, (best results), and bring idle to 1,500, (center large screw with knurled flathead)

4th - hook your vaccum lines to carb boots.

5th - start engine, and adjust 2 carbs closest to oil reservoir. This is done by adjusting the phillips head screw between the carbs. You want to bring the mercury level even between the 2. They will fluctuate between each other. Get them as close as possible.

6th - adjust other 2 carbs with phillips head screws by the other carbs, to match with the 2 you did previously. Check idle and your done.

***If your sled does not sync properly, your idle mixture screws might be in too far, or off from one another. Air screws are on the bottom sides of the carbs, and should be at 2-2 1/2 turns out.***

Hope this helps.

JDMCRX - This ensures that the mechanical butterflies are all open the same amount. If they are not, you will get poor starting, rough idle, and a bog.

After that, the vaccum slides take over, and control air/fuel mixture.

The drag bike guys check their slides with gage pins before each race. They gage at Idle, which checks the idle screws, and then gage at 3,000 rpm, to check throttle cable pull. RX1's have one cable, so it just leaves the butterfly sync at idle. Some drag bikes have 4 cables going to the top of the carbs, where there is a nut and an adjustable threaded screw.

Anyone have any recomendations for a good gauge that is reasonably priced? I want to pick one up.

SNOWDOG said:
Anyone have any recomendations for a good gauge that is reasonably priced? I want to pick one up.

Might want to post a wanted ad in the TY classifieds, as now they switched to fuel injection, some guys might want to sell there mecury gage.

thanks,
Thats the reason I really don't want to buy an expensive one...but I do plan on running the 05 for a couple of seasons since I think 89 & 09 will be pretty dialed in.

well I just sync mine for the first time. I was worried it would be a dificul deal.. I first calibrated mymotion pro gauge, and then hooked it up Just as Terry said to. I now know why mine ideled so good. they where perfectly even all the way across. Man was that easy. LOl Maxdlx

SNOWDOG said:

I have a Carbtune II. It's durable, compact and uses stainless rods instead of Hg. Not necessarily better than a traditional manometer, but I find this type more practical for my occasional needs.

Back